Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up a Stumpy 29er. I hear a lot of good things about these wheels. I like the fact that Spynergy is a USA company and would like to keep the money in the US. I do have a set of Mavic SLR 26 CrossMax which have been a good all around wheel with great support. I'm leaning towards the Spynergy....any help?:madman: :madman:

·
Registered
17 Posts
oldbikeshop said:
Well, the other option I was thinking are Chris King, DT spokes and Stans Flow rims.
I do mostly fast XC singletrack riding. I'm 190lbs.
I vote for Stans Flow.....I'm orderin mine this week...Made in america and great customer service from what I hear.

·
Registered
845 Posts
oldbikeshop said:
Well, the other option I was thinking are Chris King, DT spokes and Stans Flow rims.
I do mostly fast XC singletrack riding. I'm 190lbs.
Much better idea. The Kings hubs, DT spokes and Flow rims will be much more serviceable and reliable than the Spinergy's. If you have any issues at all with your Spinergy's you'll have to rely on those clowns to provide spokes, hub parts, etc. The King wheels you mentioned can be repaired at most any LBS and spokes should be available at any LBS as well. You'll also have to order a special spoke wrench for truing the Spinergy's. Kings are commonly considered the finest hubs available. I can promise you that you won't get that kind of quality or engagement out of a Spinergy hub. Mine suffered from 2 broken axles and finally a cracked rim. They told me that they no longer stocked rims for my 2 year old wheel set and they had moved on to a new design. I gave the wheels to a friend who considered drilling out a blank rim to relace them. It proved to be too difficult so my $700 wheel set ended up in the local land fill. However, they did offer me a new non matching rear wheel for retail price. Needless to say I was not impressed.

Oh, I forgot, if you're 190 lbs Spinergy's are a bad choice.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
+1 for the king hubs with stans flows. I had mikesee (lacemine29) build a set for me, CK hubs, DT Comp spokes, and stans flow rims. Can't go wrong, they're strong and wide, yet still light enough to race (unless you're an uber weight weenie.. then start looking at the 355s or arches.. although both of those rims aren't as wide as the flow). The engagement on the rear king hub is amazing as well. They're pricey, but as someone else stated.. they're serviceable at most LBS and the king hubs are MUCH better than any hub you'll find on the crossmax/spinergy/etc pre-built wheelset. I don't know if I'll ever buy another pre-built wheelset, too many great custom build options out there for a similar or slightly higher price... but then again I almost always opt to build my bikes instead of buying an entire bike. Can't beat having all the parts you want and none of the fluff that only attributes to the commonly known problem of upgrade-itis!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.