Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I taco'd my front wheel on a ride friday, and I'm trying to decide what to replace it with. My current wheels are DT Swiss 4.1d rims, DT spokes, and Hope XC hubs. This is on my Yeti 575. I'd been riding the wheels for about 3 months and was very happy with them to this point. They took some serious abuse without flinching. Then Friday I must have hit a root just right to cause the wheel to taco.

At some point in time, I'm going to end up buying new wheels. My expensive wheel option is Spynergy Xcylone Discs, my midgrade wheel is either Mavic Crossmax Enduros, and my cheap option is either Mavic XC717/Hope or Mavic XM819/Hope.

So my question is this... riding the way I do, is any non-DH wheelset going to hold up better than another? Or does this type of thing just come with the territory of riding all-mountain? I'm sure I could go with a beefy DH wheelset and be better off, but I don't want to be spinning overly heavy wheels all the time.

FWIW, I go about 180lbs + gear and ride fairly aggressive all mountain type stuff. No drops or jumps, but some pretty gnarly downhill sections (roots/rocks). My DT Swiss wheelset was properly built, dished, and true - so that's not an issue for this conversation. Were they not a good choice for me, or what it simply of matter of hitting the root just right, and most any XC/all-mountain wheel would probably have folded too?

Did that make any sense?

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Same here

jacksonpt said:
I taco'd my front wheel on a ride friday, and I'm trying to decide what to replace it with. My current wheels are DT Swiss 4.1d rims, DT spokes, and Hope XC hubs. This is on my Yeti 575. I'd been riding the wheels for about 3 months and was very happy with them to this point. They took some serious abuse without flinching. Then Friday I must have hit a root just right to cause the wheel to taco.

At some point in time, I'm going to end up buying new wheels. My expensive wheel option is Spynergy Xcylone Discs, my midgrade wheel is either Mavic Crossmax Enduros, and my cheap option is either Mavic XC717/Hope or Mavic XM819/Hope.

So my question is this... riding the way I do, is any non-DH wheelset going to hold up better than another? Or does this type of thing just come with the territory of riding all-mountain? I'm sure I could go with a beefy DH wheelset and be better off, but I don't want to be spinning overly heavy wheels all the time.

FWIW, I go about 180lbs + gear and ride fairly aggressive all mountain type stuff. No drops or jumps, but some pretty gnarly downhill sections (roots/rocks). My DT Swiss wheelset was properly built, dished, and true - so that's not an issue for this conversation. Were they not a good choice for me, or what it simply of matter of hitting the root just right, and most any XC/all-mountain wheel would probably have folded too?

Did that make any sense?
Got my beautiful DT XR4 disc set wheelset about 3 months ago. Then 2 days at d-ville in june and i dent the crap outta the rear rim. And it wasnt from crashing at all. I bent it back and it works but its just disappointing. i weigh about the same as you.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
woah - just re-read my post... I really gotta work at this long winded stuff.

I guess my basic question is this: Is it worth buying high priced wheels, or are they all basically the same in terms of strength (again, assuming they are properly tuned)? I'd much rather have to replace a $125 wheel than a $300 wheel.

·
rack admirer
665 Posts
coming from opposite direction

I got DT swiss 4.1D's in May after 5 years on XT/Rhino lights on 2 bikes (which are still fine). I suspected that they were overkill for me at 165 + gear, but wanted dependable wheels lest I walk home on some epic. I considered mavic 819's as a compromise between the 2, but the weight difference led me to experiment with the 4.1's which have stood up to alot including me standing on the spokes while I slid down a 12 foot granite face after stalling on the climb. Like surfing, but clumbsier. Also, I have twice blown the tire off the rim on jumps, coasting to stop on bare rim. If I blow them up, then I'll know I should be on something sturdier, but so far I am enjoying the lightness.
Built by Mike Garcia,...'nuff said.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
jacksonpt said:
woah - just re-read my post... I really gotta work at this long winded stuff.

I guess my basic question is this: Is it worth buying high priced wheels, or are they all basically the same in terms of strength (again, assuming they are properly tuned)? I'd much rather have to replace a $125 wheel than a $300 wheel.
No need to buy a whole new wheel. Rebuild on your Hope hub. Go to a sturdier rim if you feel the need. Look at the new Syncros DP25 or DP28 rims.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I know you said this wasn't the prob. But it does sound like you had a tension problem. Spoke tension is really what makes a wheel strong. If it is uneven or there is not enough tension, your wheel can go outta wack. I have ridden wheels with extremely light xc rims for 5 years with no problems including jumps and things, they were just well-built. I wouldn't blame it on the rim or the hub or the spokes, just a bad build. Possibley bad luck, too. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd go with one of the other choices besides the Crossmaxes. I've got the XLs and have had problems with bent spokes, and most recently a broken spoke. Many people have also cited issues with spokes and poorly sealed hubs that also require frequent maintenance. I'd go with a properly done hand-built wheelset before I'd go with Crossmaxes again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.