Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Mk3 with the WTB lazer lite hubs and Mavic 321 Wheels and my rear hub needs to be repaired or replaced. It has always flexed enough to rub my chain stay under load but I've been able to live with it.It had been dished and trued but still rubbed, but having said that it worked for almost 3 years.So I'm wondering should I just get a whole new wheel set instead replacing the hub and paying to have a wheel rebuilt. I see the Azonic Outlaws are about $249.00 for both front and rear. Mavic Deetracs are $399.00. Any recomendations ? I'm about 195 # with gear and ride all mountain trails. Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
the outlaws are a beefy wheelset that may add some weight, but if you want to go that way transition has awesome wheelsets. i use the 32 revolution set and love it. they also have a am wheelset that seems very nice for the money also...oh yeah the rev wheelset may be a small bit more weight but the are SO SMOOTH that they actually feel lighter than the set i had b4 them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I'm going with the Easton AM Havocs. There is a real good deal on them right now and they are abit lighter. Unless someone pipes in and says they're junk. :eek: Thanks

·
GreeneDog
271 Posts
I recently bought a new wheel set for my MKIII and am very please. Sun Ringle Chager wheelset with Dirty Flea hubs. Pricepoint has then for $259. I am 215lbs with all my gear and tend to get in 10 - 14 miles of XC riding with 2 - 3 drops of three feet when I ride. I have had the wheels for a fw months now, so far very happy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
MK357 said:
I have a 2005 Mk3 with the WTB lazer lite hubs and Mavic 321 Wheels and my rear hub needs to be repaired or replaced. It has always flexed enough to rub my chain stay under load but I've been able to live with it.It had been dished and trued but still rubbed, but having said that it worked for almost 3 years.So I'm wondering should I just get a whole new wheel set instead replacing the hub and paying to have a wheel rebuilt. I see the Azonic Outlaws are about $249.00 for both front and rear. Mavic Deetracs are $399.00. Any recomendations ? I'm about 195 # with gear and ride all mountain trails. Thanks
The tire rubbing on the chainstay is not do to the wheel, but to the chainstay flexing. I had the same problem. After trying 3 different wheels with many different tire combinations I came to this conclusion. Turns out there is a good reason why the stock wheelsets now come with a thru axle. Instead of getting a new hub or wheel I purchased a new axle and axle end cap for my rear hub (also a WTB LDL) from WTB ($10~$15) and a friend machined them to allow for a 10 mm thru axle. With the TA there is absolutly no more rub, further more the rear end is noticeably stiffer under hard loads. Get a TA and all will be well.

·
My gloves stink
1,508 Posts
My experience is different

kghag said:
The tire rubbing on the chainstay is not do to the wheel, but to the chainstay flexing. I had the same problem.
I had plenty of chainstary rub, and when I dumped the stock wheel for an XT hub/Delgado rim combo, it got rid of 90% of it. I also tried a Ritchey wheel with equal success. A buddy of mine had a similar experience with his 05 Mk3. Go figure. Adding a TA sounds like a great setup, but if you still get rub with the stock wheel, dump the wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.