Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to find a trail that connects Foothill Blvd. to Glendora Mountain Road, and came across this trail on another forum:

Wheeler Ave. - La Verne - Los Angeles County
The I 210 Frwy east turns into Foothill Blvd. Turn north on Wheeler Ave. to Golden Springs Rd. Turn left and park on south side. Mount your bike and enter gated community through ped gate. Branch off to left and climb private road to trailhead at end (1/4 mile). Thomas Guide page 570.

Has anyone completed this ride and can you tell me how far it is one-way.

I live in Mt. Baldy and want to ride a trail from San Dimas, LaVerne, or Claremont to Glendora Mountain Road. Once I get to GMR I can easily ride to my house in the village.

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Older & Faster...downhill
440 Posts
Yup, many times. Sunset Ridge (East). You'll have to be patient to get through the gate. It's coded so you'll have to wait for a car. I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes. Heck of a climb. First third averages 10-18%, second third is moderate, final third is yet another butt kicker. Good elevation. Radio repeaters are 5300 ft and the gate is ~1300 ft. I'll have to check my 705 log at home but it's ~ 9-10 miles one way. Good view of Marshall Canyon below and Ocean if clear. They also have a Thanksgiving Day Shuttle Bunny run for those not manly enough to pedal up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. I'm going to give it a try in a week or two. Hopefully it won't kick my butt too hard! Tried to get up to GMR by starting in the experimental forest in San Dimas but kept dead ending. Wicked ride though, with about 15-stream crossings one-way. I'm still picking algae out of my bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dstepper said:
I have rode down Sunset Fireroad starting at Cow Saddle and ending in La Verne. Something like 1600 foot climb and 4900 ft down over 16 miles. There used to be a Turkey Day ride there every year. Last time I did it was 2006.

There is also the Monroe Truck Trail.

Dean
Thanks for the info Dean. Do you have a link to the Monroe Truck Trail? Where does it start and end?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Monroe Truck Trail starts at the first sharp switchback down near Glendora and ends just west of the junction with East Fork on GMR. http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=20130

Nice climb but you'll have to ride GMR for however many miles to Baldy.

You can also ride Big Dalton Canyon Rd up to GMR. Lots of the roads in the experimental forest are closed to vehicles but the Forest Service doesn't care if you bike them.

Sunset Ridge is one of my favorite rides in the area. Nice constant climbing, fantastic views, and hardly ever anybody there.

Have fun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
drdoak said:
Monroe Truck Trail starts at the first sharp switchback down near Glendora and ends just west of the junction with East Fork on GMR. http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=20130

Nice climb but you'll have to ride GMR for however many miles to Baldy.

You can also ride Big Dalton Canyon Rd up to GMR. Lots of the roads in the experimental forest are closed to vehicles but the Forest Service doesn't care if you bike them.

Sunset Ridge is one of my favorite rides in the area. Nice constant climbing, fantastic views, and hardly ever anybody there.

Have fun!
Thanks for the information. On the Experimental Forest Ride, do you have to hop a gate with a camera in front of it and then ride up hill past a house? I went over the gate and rode past the house on the hill, but dead-ended after about 2-miles. Didn't know if the road up to the house was another trail or a driveway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts