Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know there is a search function and also a wheel forum. But I want to get information from my fellow 29er lovers. Looking to build my forst set of wheels. Been riding for over 10 years and while it may be easier to pay someone else....I would like to give it a try. Can anyone make a suggestion on a book? I see there is an online book out of the UK called Wheel Pro Maybe. Pretty nat. Online and always updated? Also the Wheel book and Wheelbuilding I see on Amazon

ANYONE have any suggestions? Maybe something with a recent revision to help cover the need of the 29 inch wheel. Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
11,968 Posts
I have used the sheldon brown resource for many a wheel and utilized the DTSwiss spoke calculator for spoke calculations. Those 2 sets of resources have gotten me through 8 sets of wheels with no problems and educated me well.

Give 'em a try. 29er wheel builds no different than a road wheel or a mountain 29er wheel. Best bet would be to spend your money you save on buying a book and building your own wheels and pick up a tensionometer (park makes a consumer version that is just perfect for the occasional build).

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,397 Posts
The SheldonBrown writeup is good, but THE book is:

The Bicycle Wheel 3rd Edition (Hardcover) by Jobst Brandt
Lots of discussion on the WHY, as well as the how.

For figuring spoke length:
Damon Rinard's Spocalc spreadsheet (Excel), also available from SheldonBrown:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

And a big ++ on owning a tensiometer. Very helpful.

·
Registered
340 Posts
IFrider1 said:
+1 on Jobst Brandt book. You can find it at most bike shops too...........
-1 on Jobst's book, for me. I had the book, and also a printout of Sheldon Brown's wheelbuilding instructions, and I found Sheldon's stuff helped me a lot more than Jobst's. YMMV (people learn differently), but do check out Sheldon's info.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
rickkane said:
I printed off a copy of this guy's online book and got it bound up:

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

Absolutely gave me the confidence for the job. Even built the wheel jig from his plans. Love it. Has a spoke calculator on his site, too.

Stan.
Yep.
Great book and very easy to follow.
I found it far easier to follow the the Sheldon Brown instructions.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MikeSee, I saw that that one as well. Anything else you can advise, I plan on purchasing the tension meter, etc???? Is the park tools one accurate or should I go with the DT Swiss version?

I appreciate everyone's help.

Looking to lace up some Gordo's to some Hope Hubs!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.