Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
Its been a while since I have built up some wheels and have never done Asymetric rims. Got a couple questions that hopefully benefit someone else as well. I just finished up the rear and was happy until I started tension balancing the DISC side. The DISC side (124 Kgf) has a higher KgF than the DRIVE side (99 Kgf). The dish is about perfect.
The Tension Ratio % does show 131% L/R...does that mean the L (disc) is higher than R (drive)? (Never had that...ever)
I included the resources I relied on during the build. (Including Mike T wheelbuilding tips...those are awesome)

Thanks for everyones thoughts!

Rear Hub: 170mm IRD Sawtooth
Rim: Arc40 Offset (4.5 offset, 600 ERD)

Iron Metal Engineering Machine Steel
Text Line Handwriting Parallel Material property
Text Photograph White Line Font
Text White Line Slope Parallel
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Spoke

·
Registered
505 Posts
Seems about right. Even asymmetric rims do not give perfect symmetric tension on both sides. I don't remember the exact figures on my wheels, but were not too far from yours.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Depends on the exact hub, rim, and wheel size combo. Definitely possible to balance things out.
Of course. What I meant is that the difference the OP is seeing is not uncommon. Considering that the dishing is good and tension is acceptable and reasonably the same across all spokes in the same side, all should be good.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
This place needs an enema
17,074 Posts
Of course. What I meant is that the difference the OP is seeing is not uncommon. Considering that the dishing is good and tension is acceptable and reasonably the same across all spokes in the same side, all should be good.
You are correct, and I agree.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS to everyone taking the time to review and comment on this wheelbuild.
So if I read this right:
"difference the OP is seeing is not uncommon" then the lower tension on the DRIVE side is acceptable and I am going to rock this wheel.

I contacted my buddy who has built up my past carbon wheelsets (bombproof) he is the BEST local builder and super nice guy (Chris Murray, Elevation Wheelworks) to ask him for some hands on assistance but he is super busy. If I can avoid bothering him then that would be awesome.

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
505 Posts
So if I read this right:
"difference the OP is seeing is not uncommon" then the lower tension on the DRIVE side is acceptable and I am going to rock this wheel.
That is exactly right. Used to be worse on symmetric rims. Also note that, on the front wheel, tension will be lower on the rotor side.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
354 Posts
The hub has symmetric flange offsets and didn't require an Asymmetric rim. By using this rim you are introducing dish into a wheel that with a normal rim, would build up dishless. Actually, the left hub offset is 0.5mm shorter, so you should in theory have put the asym offset the other way around towards the right side. Anyway, the wheel will work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.