Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm Done
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided on a Bontrager Mustang Disc-Specific / American Classic wheelset (don't know a thing about spokes) for my 160 lb. frame and if you have someone who you think would do an awesome job building up my dream wheelset please reply.

Also, if you have spoke recommendations or any other advice please go ahead and drop some knowledge.

Thank you ;)

29er RULE

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
Durga said:
Dave is the bomb - but his build skills carry a premium that I don't think I can afford

Any other suggestions?
first off, a quick question (or two)...where ya getting the mustang discs? and, do you have them in hand?? how much do they weigh???

as for lacing, i am 175 with gear, ride a mostly rigid 9er and use 32h 14/15g double butted spokes. the wheels are laced 3x by yours truely (my third wheel build and they've been beautiful!!! :D )

for you, it's important to know what type of terrain you ride, or where you ride. i think 32h f and r 3x is a bombproof way to go. if you ride smooth and want something ultralight, 28h is good.

as for hubs, though you did not ask for advice here...i'd stay away from the am classic stuff. i was ready to spring for a new 05 hubset and then spoke to a vendor who sells alot of am classic stuff. he flat out stop selling the mtb hubsets because 5 of 6 customers with the new 05 hubsets had bearings had crap out REALLY quick. not 1 or 2 out of 6, but 5 out of 6...something to think about.

also, i am not sure what am classic is smoking, but the hub flanges on the new 05 hubs are ridiculously closely spaced.

i am looking at dyads (pretty light in silver, at about 480g) or the mustang (posted as 460g on speedgoat, is that right?) and lacing them to the new hope hubs (the pro II model). the new pro 2 is supposedly 160g f and 260g rear and the price is right around the range of the bulb hubset. that will work for me!!!

for lacing, try to have them laced by who you are buying them from. i know speedgoat sells the mustang dis rims and the am classic hubs.

otherwise, guys like larry mettler at mtnhighcyclery and mike g. at oddsandendos can build a mean set of wheels for a relatively good price.

·
I'm Done
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No mustangs yet - but I did speak to Dave Thomas about the weights and he told me the v-brake version is light than the disc specific, coming in at around ~460grams on his scale.

I can hardly believe the news about the new AC hubs - sucks! 5/6 - DEFINITELY something to think about.

I was looking at the Dyads as well - seems like a pretty solid rim.

Thank you :)

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,385 Posts
Durga said:
No mustangs yet - but I did speak to Dave Thomas about the weights and he told me the v-brake version is light than the disc specific, coming in at around ~460grams on his scale.

I can hardly believe the news about the new AC hubs - sucks! 5/6 - DEFINITELY something to think about.

I was looking at the Dyads as well - seems like a pretty solid rim.

Thank you :)
Skip the Dyads cause many tires fit very loose.

Mike Garcia is great, and he even gives you extra spokes for the stick that will eventually find its way into your wheel.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Kam said:
also, i am not sure what am classic is smoking, but the hub flanges on the new 05 hubs are ridiculously closely spaced.
I"m not sure about the '05's but my '04's were spaced very closely. Especially the rear one...so narrow it bordered on the queasy stomach feeling just looking at it.

That being said, I expeinced no problems with it. But then I didn't put that many miles on them (20 maybe).

Now I've got XTR/Mustangs.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Kam said:
the new hope hubs (the pro II model). the new pro 2 is supposedly 160g f and 260g rear and the price is right around the range of the bulb hubset.
Any idea when the new Hope hubs will be available? I read that there will be two versions available with different engagement speeds - the fast one was 48 points (almost as fast as King) and the slow one was either 18 or 20 points (just a bit faster than Shimano). I'm not sure what the price and weight difference will be between the two versions.

·
assenting member
78 Posts
I had my wheels built with Mustang Disc rims, DT Comp spokes and brass nipples. If I was doing it again I'd use Super Comps and DT Prolock alloy nips to save a little weight. I haven't seen any rims that I'd rather use. Still seems like there are not too many disc specific choices.

As far as hubs go, I have the WTB Laser Disc Lites and really like them. They are a licensed version of the Am Classic, and have a relatively narrow rear flange spacing. I've not had any trouble with them, but I am a welterweight, so don't stress my equipment too much.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've never ridden any of their wheelsets, but Speedgoat has a great wheel build page on their website (speedgoat.com) with super reasonable prices that include shipping.

Also, I'm in the process of getting a SS King wheelset laced up to Mavic 819's by Tom at Wrench Science (wrenchscience.com). They do internet sales, but I happen to live down the street so I can attest that he is a super skilled mechanic and I'm very excited to ride the wheels when they're done.

Good luck...Dan.

Durga said:
I've decided on a Bontrager Mustang Disc-Specific / American Classic wheelset (don't know a thing about spokes) for my 160 lb. frame and if you have someone who you think would do an awesome job building up my dream wheelset please reply.

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
VT Mike said:
Any idea when the new Hope hubs will be available? I read that there will be two versions available with different engagement speeds - the fast one was 48 points (almost as fast as King) and the slow one was either 18 or 20 points (just a bit faster than Shimano). I'm not sure what the price and weight difference will be between the two versions.
i just got off the phone with hope usa. the hope pro 2 hub will TOTALLY REPLACE the bulb hubset.

the pro 2 will be versatile just like the bulb (ie different type of axles can be used) but it will a much lighter hubset. they will also have the same engagement speed as the bulbs (i believe 36pt).

a single speed casette hub will also be available!!!

they should be available in a few weeks.

cheers!

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Kam said:
i just got off the phone with hope usa. the hope pro 2 hub will TOTALLY REPLACE the bulb hubset.

the pro 2 will be versatile just like the bulb (ie different type of axles can be used) but it will a much lighter hubset. they will also have the same engagement speed as the bulbs (i believe 36pt).

cheers!
I have a front '05 am classic disc hub laced to a dyad and it's been perfectly fine. While I would never dare use a rear AC hub again I feel the front is fine for even foul conditions. My front '04 ac on a 26" is still alive after a year of hellish riding. I now have the '05 and it seems to spin even better.

I had a bulb and will say it does have good engagement(seemed a touch faster than the XT or american classic i've used) but it is noticeably slower than a King or Hadley. I can't complain about it though. It worked beautifully.

and re: Dyads. I strongly recommend looking elsewhere due to the loose tire fitting. It makes me nervous - almost to the point of wanting new rims after only using them for about a month now. They have been super strong and taken some serious shots full rigid but i've had a few tires blow off when trying to run lower pressures and also a few times when pumping them up. Once with a floor pump and the other on the trail with a handpump.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Kam said:

cheers!
That's great news, the new Hopes are starting to sound like a really good alternative to King hubs at a reasonable price. You are correct, the Bulb has 36 points of engagement. In terms of how much (the maximum) the cassette will have to rotate before engagement, that works out to 10 degrees. King is 5 degrees and Am Classic is 15 degrees.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.