Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have some quick simple advice for truing up a rear wheel without having to take it to the LBS?

I don't have a truing stand.
...and the wheel is rideable, but I would like to get the wobble out.

Thanks.

oh yeah...just in case it matters it's a 150mm deemax.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hold a pencil on the rear triangle close to the wheel. Spin the wheel and let the pencil hit to find wobbles. Loosen spokes on the side of the rim that is "out", and tighten on the side you want to pull toward. Work in pairs and start with 1/2 turn increments.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
pinknugget said:
Hold a pencil on the rear triangle close to the wheel. Spin the wheel and let the pencil hit to find wobbles. Loosen spokes on the side of the rim that is "out", and tighten on the side you want to pull toward. Work in pairs and start with 1/2 turn increments.
If the wheel is correctly tensioned, and is at the high end of the acceptable tension, this is good.

However, more often then not factory wheels that have been ridden a while are not tight enough. Don't loosen any spokes, just tighten the ones you need to pull the rim in the correct direction.

Feel a true spot on the wheel, try turning a couple nipples to get a feeling for how tight they are. If the ones you are tightening in order to get the wheel straight, then it would be advisable to loosen the corresponding spoke.

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
clamp a ruler to your chainstay or seatstay. Depending on where you clamp it on the bike you can get the hop(s) out, dish it, etc. I've done this many times. It's not as good as a truing stand but it works pretty good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.