Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Cannondale F3000 that came with the Cane Creek WAM Crono wheel set. As per Cane Creek the width of these wheels is 21 mm. I would like to put some street slicks or semi slick tires for some road training.

What would be the narrowist tire I could run? I was thinking of either the Continental Sport Contact in 26 x 1.3 or 26 x 1.6, or the Ritchey Tom Slick tires in the 26 x 1.4 size.

Any recommendations? Let me know.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
AMP01 said:
I have a 1999 Cannondale F3000 that came with the Cane Creek WAM Crono wheel set. As per Cane Creek the width of these wheels is 21 mm. I would like to put some street slicks or semi slick tires for some road training.

What would be the narrowist tire I could run? I was thinking of either the Continental Sport Contact in 26 x 1.3 or 26 x 1.6, or the Ritchey Tom Slick tires in the 26 x 1.4 size.

Any recommendations? Let me know.

Thanks!
Anything you want to try will fit.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
AMP01 said:
Any suggestions on a tire choice/size of the two I suggested? Any other brands?

Cheers,

AMP01
No. There are dozens of choices. I do not really care much about street tires on mtbs. Little difference with any of the "good" brands. Narrow does not really make the bike faster but it can make the ride very uncomfortable.

Go to your LBS and see what they have in the bargain bin.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
shiggy said:
Narrow does not really make the bike faster but it can make the ride very uncomfortable.
As a long-time road rider on skinny tires I agree. There have been tests in roadie mags where it's proved that fatter tires can be faster than skinnier ones. I forget the reasoning.

But I know lots about pressure and comfort. Skinny tires at low pressure invite pinch-flats and lower pressures are better handled by fatter tires. I have 23mm and 25mm road bike tires (100psi) and 32mm tires on my dirt road bike (a cyclocross bike that I don't race) and the 32's are like a breath of fresh air when ridden at 40psi on roads paved and dirt. What little bit they waste in speed (about 1kph lower average) means absolutely nothing to me.

That being said, I've done more paved road miles on 40psi 1.9 mountain bike tires in the past twenty years than all the above tires put together. I wouldn't grab that bike if I was going out with a bunch of roadies but until the cx bike came along last summer it's been the bike of choice for most of my road rides.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
CFoster said:
You can check out Tioga City Slickers. They come in 26" 1.0 - 2.1". I was running the 1.0's at 125psi for a while, but ultimately backed off to 1.5". The 1.5s were a little thicker and better against puncture flats.
I'm running City Slicker 1.5" too, on my commuter in the summer - good combo of fast, smooth, (fairly) light and cheap.

I've seen lots of good reviews of the Ritchey Tom Slicks for being fast and smooth, but also some people complain they have weak sidewalls.

Like Shiggy said though, there are lots of slicks available, and which one doesn't matter too much, since they are almost all faster and lighter than knobbies, so you can't go too wrong with most brands. See what your LBS has in stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.