Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for the first upgrade!

I've been digging around these forums trying to get a handle on what is a solid setup for the riding I do around these New England parts. My local getaway is Mianus River Park, and will be the location that will see the most action from me.

Current setup:
Stock Rockhopper SL offerings - Specialized Fast Trak LK Control, 26x2.0", 60TPI

Any wheel/tire knowledge anyone can share with a noob would be awesome.

·
ZEN RIDER!
950 Posts
As far as a tire I'd go Kenda Nevegal 2.1 for NE & if ya want something more squishy Spec Eskar 2.3. Although it does depend on what your riding style dictates. More of a racer xc rider Spec Captains or Panaracer Fire xc.

Wheel depends on your budget & again what type of riding you do.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had those same specialized fast trak tires and those things were certainly not suited for riding in the woods. Those tires in all honesty should not be provided with bikes that are intended to be ridden in an "off the beaten path" type environment. Maybe specialized just had too many of them on hand and decided to supply them with their rockhoppers. In any case I just recently picked up a set of the continental mountain kings 29x2.4's and they are awesome. Absolutely chew right through dried leaves loose packed and mud for that matter. The knobs are spaced wide enough apart that they do not collect mud either when you do happen to go through the wet gushy stuff.

here is the entire review:

https://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/tire/continental/mountain-king/PRD_416562_151crx.aspx

·
Dookier
53 Posts
I've heard good things about the Conti's. Personally I ride Nevgal's in 2.3 on the front and a motoraptor 2.25 in the back. I couldn't be happier with the set up. I rode the eskar for a while and really wasn't happy. traction isn't great and they give you no warning when you've reached the end of the edge traction, they just dump you on the ground.

·
Delirious Tuck
2,471 Posts
Stay away from the Conti Kings. I'm at Mianus (Riding, hiking, and trail maintaining/building) and ride the heck out of the place and the Conti's nearly killed me a couple times on Treehouse and the alternate rock garden crossing on fishermans loop when the humidity was up and the woods were sweating. They're great, fast, and grippy when its hard pack and dry, they don't grip when the woods (rocks & roots) get sweaty/greasy or you're riding on the shoulder seasons where it can be damp.

For Mianus, and other local riding areas I'd suggest (my fave for 26er) Kenda Telonix 2.4 front with an Excavator 2.35 rear, Nevys front and rear, Maxxis Minion Single Plys, or Maxxis Ardents.

Btw... Aug 7 will be our regular TM session meeting at the Red Barn on the stamford side at 9am...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome feedback. Wasn't sure how much traffic this section of the forum got so I'm pretty stoked. I was looking into the Kings but reviews (and now Thefriar) comments on handling in the wet puts me off a bit.

Thefriar, what's TM session meeting? Whatever it is, I'd be down but have to take care of my buddy and his bachelor party the night before. Not the best shape to put in some nice morning riding.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I cant really dispute his claims in the wet since I havent really had them out in that stuff yet...mostly because it seems to have been sooooo dry around here lately. Another little tidbit is that they are certainly not a true 2.4 on the width. I would say they are more a 2.25-2.3 on the width. I dont think a true 2.4 would even fit between my chainstays on my ride!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have your wheels and tires! Crossmax SLR disc wheels, Kenda Nevegal 2.35 DTC front, Kenda Moco 2.1 sticky rear, all set up tubeless with Stans. Best of all, I'm located in CT. Check my ad out in MTBR classified. Big upgrade for your bike.

·
Delirious Tuck
2,471 Posts
lopro said:
Awesome feedback. Wasn't sure how much traffic this section of the forum got so I'm pretty stoked. I was looking into the Kings but reviews (and now Thefriar) comments on handling in the wet puts me off a bit.

Thefriar, what's TM session meeting? Whatever it is, I'd be down but have to take care of my buddy and his bachelor party the night before. Not the best shape to put in some nice morning riding.
TM is trail maintenance. Its what we do to keep the trails in great shape and make sure mountain bikers are seen as a pillar of the park community, not just fast "dangerous" and "destructive" trail users.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thefriar said:
TM is trail maintenance. Its what we do to keep the trails in great shape and make sure mountain bikers are seen as a pillar of the park community, not just fast "dangerous" and "destructive" trail users.
Very cool. How often is this done over there? I can't throw in a hand this time around but wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty for the cause.

·
Delirious Tuck
2,471 Posts
We're year round (except July 4th weekend) first Saturday of the Month 9am at the Stone Bridge below the Red Barn on the Marriebrook Lane/Stamford side.

·
Registered
546 Posts
For general trail riding, I'm a fan on the maxxis minion DHF on the front and high roller in the back (both 2.35 and 60a). Good grip, decent rolling, and they last a good while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts