Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
Boost spacing helps tension balance. Technically, this builds stronger wheels. I dont think its significant, as long as you have a stiff rim.

If you're using a noodle like a crest, take any advantage you possibly can! Any reasonable rim, I think they both feel and last the same.

·
awesome
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ life behind bars: so you're saying bracing angle trumps spoke length when it comes to lateral stiffness.

@ one pivot: I'll have a 27,5 plus wheel built, I have an old wheel with an LG1 hub sitting around which I could use, buying a new dt 350 would cost me about the same (factoring the price of the lg1 boost conversion kit and loss of the old wheel, not to mention I would need to change bearings sooner than with a new hub), I'm trying to figure out if the first option makes any sense at all.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
From my experience playing around building using an SS/Trials hub back in the day and now these days using offset rims to get dishless wheels, I'd say the closer you can get spoke tension, the stronger the wheel build will be.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,794 Posts
Stiffer and stronger and not the same thing when it comes to wheels.

A sturdy rim is a major factor in building a stiff wheel. Even spoke tension (or close to it) builds a strong wheel.

Spoke length is not a major contributing factor to either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.