Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regarding weight and rolling resistance, what do you guys think about my Flux wheelset, xt hubs, Bontrager Mustang rims alloy nipples, WTB Weirwolf UST tires w/ 1 scoop of stans. I would like to lighten it up by starting with a light weight UST trail tire, fast rolling but not a semi-slick.
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
I wish you luck with the XT hubs. They have been nothing but time bombs for me.

If you are worried about the weight - switch the hubs out for some Hopes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
I'm with JC and SSINGA. Had a set of XT hubs for a short while. As well as being boat anchors, both front and rear hubs failed alarmingly quickly. Switched them for Hopes and never looked back.

They're laced to DT 4.2's, which I would recommend highly as well.

Call me a Luddite but I'm not a fan of the whole Stan's thing (I've witnessed some alarming failures with tubeless tires) so I run light weight tubes and Specialized Adrenaline Pro's for racing and a heavier tube / tire combo when I'm not.

For the record I'm 170 Lbs, riding a Burner in East Coast terrain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
DT 4.2s with CK hubs. Excellent combo with reasonable weight.

Bombing around Stillwell or mashing rocks up in Westchester....this combo has served me very well.

Go see Gerald at Racer's Edge in Canarsie to have em done right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RkFast said:
DT 4.2s with CK hubs. Excellent combo with reasonable weight.

Bombing around Stillwell or mashing rocks up in Westchester....this combo has served me very well.

Go see Gerald at Racer's Edge in Canarsie to have em done right.
What kind of coin are we talkin, are they tubeless and what tires?
 

·
carpe mañana
Joined
·
7,308 Posts
If you're a racer, you probably won't want to run King hubs. They outlast all other hubs and the rear's engagement is second to none, but they are sealed so well against the elements the seals cause a bit of drag and if you're into counting every 1/1000th of a second, you won't like that.

DT 240 hubs are very fine rollers and engage OK with DT's star ratchet system. They roll beautifully well and are fairly light. DT4.2 or Mavic 717s will serve you equally well. If you've got extra coin, Sapim CX Ray spokes will add a little bling and performance to the wheelset, otherwise, go with DT Competition.

_MK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
bikenut316 said:
What kind of coin are we talkin, are they tubeless and what tires?
They run as much as any other premium set....$700-$800 or thereabouts.

No tubeless right now. I think you can convert these.

Im currently using Schwalbe's Nobby Nics. Nice tire. Coming off Nevegals, I notice a bit less traction on the mud we have right now, which can be excused as a half inch of mud over frozen dirt is always going to cause some of the squirrely's. But rolling resistance is FAR better, so this is a tradeoff Im willing to make.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bikenut316 said:
Regarding weight and rolling resistance, what do you guys think about my Flux wheelset, xt hubs, Bontrager Mustang rims alloy nipples, WTB Weirwolf UST tires w/ 1 scoop of stans. I would like to lighten it up by starting with a light weight UST trail tire, fast rolling but not a semi-slick.
What do you guys think of my rims with different hubs and spokes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RkFast said:
They run as much as any other premium set....$700-$800 or thereabouts.

No tubeless right now. I think you can convert these.

Im currently using Schwalbe's Nobby Nics. Nice tire. Coming off Nevegals, I notice a bit less traction on the mud we have right now, which can be excused as a half inch of mud over frozen dirt is always going to cause some of the squirrely's. But rolling resistance is FAR better, so this is a tradeoff Im willing to make.
I hear positive things about NN tires, they will probably me my choice.
 

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
Joined
·
12,942 Posts
im a big fan of mustang tubeless discs. have been for many years. slightly more mass than valiants and way tougher. they also allow ust or standard tires. id say if theyre not stiffer than either mavics or dt's theyre as much so. comps or super comps are the way to go dependin on rider weight and style. check out the larson tt's fairly grabby and super fast in anything but deep sand. sand is not their friend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cactuscorn said:
im a big fan of mustang tubeless discs. have been for many years. slightly more mass than valiants and way tougher. they also allow ust or standard tires. id say if theyre not stiffer than either mavics or dt's theyre as much so. comps or super comps are the way to go dependin on rider weight and style. check out the larson tt's fairly grabby and super fast in anything but deep sand. sand is not their friend.
I am now on WTB Weirwolfs 2.1 tubeless. They are'nt fast for speedy xc but corner and grip well.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top