Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am slowly upgrading my SS but I have ran into a problem. The main problem is that I don't have much money. Here is my problem:

I have an older Surly 1x1 frame w/o disk tabs. I have some magura hydrolic rim brakes that I would like to use. I also would like to have a bolt on rear hub and would prefer to not have the bmx thread on freewheel. Sounds easy so far.

But, I am having problems getting the brakes to work with a 2.0 or bigger tire. The frame is set up for large wheels and the brakes are farther apart than some smaller frames. To get the brake pads to engage on the rims strong enough to stop, the mounting brakes rub the tire.
So, I am needing a fairly wide rim. I think this takes me out of any pre-built wheelset. I also do not want some heavy down hill rims.

Suggestions?? :confused:

Thanks!

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Wide rims will usually be heavy. I'd look into a Sun Rhyno Lite laced to an LX hub. You should be able to find one pre-built for cheap and you can swap the axle to a bolt-on for around $10. Not the lightest, but not the heaviest either. With all of your criteria you are going to have to compromise somewhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.