Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...

(all widths are internal)

I have crash replacement on a carbon wheel set. Application is XC race bike 100mm front and rear. Currently running 2.35 front (Ikon Exo) and 2.2 rear tires (XR2). So talked to wheel mfg and have the option on to get rear wheel fixed with either a 24mm or 30mm wheel. They don't make the 24mm any more only 30, but have some older stock of 24mm in bright colors. The 30mm wheel a few grams heavier, but does it makes sense to run 30mm wheel in the rear, and 24mm in front especially since I am running 2.2 in the rear? I can see going 30mm front and rear, but I am leaning toward 24mm rear just to match the front. I could easily to 2.4 in the rear and front, but again does it make sense to have rear rim wider?

So

Option 1
Front 24mm, rear 30mm

Option 2
Front 24mm, rear 24mm

·
orthonormal
5,261 Posts
I wouldn't set up a bike new with the wheels mismatched like that but I don't think you'll really notice much difference other than the change in tire profile. The tire will be a bit wider overall but the side knobs will be angled out less with the 30mm rim so your tire preference might change. I'd stick with 24mm unless the bright colors were really awful.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
Option 2 all day long.

I also have 24/24 on my 29er FS XC bike, in Sonoran Desert. Recently ran a 2.2 in back, can't imagine a 30mm rim in back with a 2.2. Sidewall will be more exposed, square profile, more drag. And mismatched with front. I wouldn't consider Option #1.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Option 2 all day long.

I also have 24/24 on my 29er FS XC bike, in Sonoran Desert. Recently ran a 2.2 in back, can't imagine a 30mm rim in back with a 2.2. Sidewall will be more exposed, square profile, more drag. And mismatched with front. I wouldn't consider Option #1.
this

mid 20's is ideal for xc. Running a that narrow a tire on a 30 is not going to be a good solution. Take the 24's and call it a day.

If you were to go for the 30, I'd recommend 30 front/rear and then going with an appropriately wide tire (2.5ish) but that would be a more expensive route

If anything, having a wider rim/tire in front would make sense

·
Registered
461 Posts
I was rockin 23's for the past couple years and had no issue with my nearly 100% xc riding. I needed to get new tires anyway so decided to go with something a bit bigger. Only reason I changed to a 25 id rim

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
I would run 30's all day long, and would never run 24. But that's just me.

I'm putting 30's on my SB100, with 2.35/2.4 tires, and run 29mm on my SS (Nox Farlow), with 2.35 Ikons.

I have Nox Teocalli's (26mm) on my geared LES, and run Ikons 2.35 f/2.20 r, but that is as narrow as I'd go, and the only spot I run a 2.20 tire.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I will be going with the 24mm since can't swap both. Thanks for the advice.

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,220 Posts
I would run 30's all day long, and would never run 24. But that's just me.

I'm putting 30's on my SB100, with 2.35/2.4 tires, and run 29mm on my SS (Nox Farlow), with 2.35 Ikons.

I have Nox Teocalli's (26mm) on my geared LES, and run Ikons 2.35 f/2.20 r, but that is as narrow as I'd go, and the only spot I run a 2.20 tire.
I agree. My hardtail and trail bike both have 32mm internal rims and I like the 2.35-2.4 tire size on them. I've run 2.2 Ikons on the rear or the hardtail once in a pinch, lots of exposed sidewall but otherwise wasn't an issue. The 2.35s have a really nice profile though.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I would take the 30 mm. And then I would consider swapping the front and rear rim or buy a second 30 mm one. Seems like a lost opportunity not to upgrade to a wider rim if given the option.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
I did 27f/24r last year, and 27f/28r this year. Not a big difference, but I think im leaning towards liking the 24 more... Definitely wouldn't want to go even bigger. I use 2.35 max out back though.

It does square off the rear tire, and that's not great for a lot of riding.

·
Registered
14,900 Posts
The XR 2.2 has worked well for me on 30mm rims for a few seasons. It has good volume and rounded tread profile. I'd upgrade to 30 for both or lace your existing 24 for a rear and use the new 30 as a front.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.