Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have to re-center their calipers every stinkin' time they remove a wheel?? This happens on my current Elixers and happened on my Juicy 7's too. Every time I put a wheel back on the rotor rubs :madman: and I have to re-adjust the calipers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,083 Posts
SteveF said:
Does anyone else have to re-center their calipers every stinkin' time they remove a wheel?? This happens on my current Elixers and happened on my Juicy 7's too. Every time I put a wheel back on the rotor rubs :madman: and I have to re-adjust the calipers.
Nope, most times it works just fine.....sometimes i get a little rub, I just loosen the QR set the wheel in hard and try again...

Oh try reinstalling the wheel with the bike upside down, you can push it down into the dropouts and clamp the QR a little easier...

Also when you center everything makes sure the wheel is really pushed into the dropouts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wondered if it was the quick-release tension. Getting the front right is particularly tricky since you have to back it out to clear the lawyer lips. I'll try to be more careful about that--sometimes I've been able to adjust the QR tension and eliminate the rub so that's a likely culprit...
 

·
Dirt Deviant
Joined
·
3,694 Posts
I hate taking my wheels off!!!!!
Make sure your hubs are adjusted properly.
My buddy kept having the same issue. He has some crossmax wheels.
It turns out that his front hub wasn't adjusted properly.
Once i tightened his hub a tad, then readjusted his brakes, everything lined up perfect everytime he removed/installed his wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
savagemann said:
I hate taking my wheels off!!!!!
Make sure your hubs are adjusted properly.
My buddy kept having the same issue. He has some crossmax wheels.
It turns out that his front hub wasn't adjusted properly.
Once i tightened his hub a tad, then readjusted his brakes, everything lined up perfect everytime he removed/installed his wheel.
Interesting--they're Bontrager wheels/hubs. I had them checked over last season so they should be okay but that's worth looking into...
 

·
Riding free's the mind
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
Not much room for play, in particular when pads are new. I've noticed now that I'm about 1/2 way through my pads, the extra gap has mostly eliminated the rub from attaching my front wheel....using Elixirs btw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,790 Posts
HTail said:
...I've noticed now that I'm about 1/2 way through my pads, the extra gap has mostly eliminated the rub from attaching my front wheel....using Elixirs btw.
Hydraulic brakes self adjust and the gap should not change with wear.

I usually count the number of turns on the QR and put the same count back on to re-install.
 

·
Riding free's the mind
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
Pad gap

gmcttr said:
Hydraulic brakes self adjust and the gap should not change with wear.

Oh yeah, tell that to my Elixirs! :)

Seriously though, agree there is some self adjusting for pad wear, but definitely more pad/rotor gap than with new pads.
 

·
I'm just messing with you
Joined
·
5,423 Posts
I used a paint pen to put a little dot on non-handle side of the QR so I end up with it at the same place. With that, the handle in the same place, and the same tightness, it's pretty easy to get it back to the same place every time.

There's these things too which would make it a no-brainer
http://www.1upusa.com/quicknuts.html
 

·
Suffers From Binge Biking
Joined
·
412 Posts
Yes, I also have that problem but I am using mechanical disc brakes. Each time I replace the wheel I either have to re-adjust the QR screw or turn the adjusting dials on either side to set the right clearance.

How many people here grind off the lawyer tabs? It would just make the whole process of removing a wheel that much easier. Once when I was loading my bike into my dads car, he tried to take the wheel off and couldn't get it at first. I said "no, no, you have to unscrew this more before you can remove the wheel." He replied "Well then what's the point of even having quick release?" lol

http://www.1upusa.com/quicknuts.html
They're a good concept, but at $8 each they're WAY overpriced IMO. Guess it depends on how important it is to you :rolleyes:
 

·
All fat, all the time.
Joined
·
10,715 Posts
My old bike had that same issue....
New bike has the 15QR so the "nut" side that the axle threads into is permanently mounted into the fork, so it tightens up exactly the same every time....brake pads line up perfectly everytime. I know this doesn't help your situation but I'd guess it's the QR tension that is causing your issues.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
SteveF said:
I wondered if it was the quick-release tension. Getting the front right is particularly tricky since you have to back it out to clear the lawyer lips. I'll try to be more careful about that--sometimes I've been able to adjust the QR tension and eliminate the rub so that's a likely culprit...
Get Quick Nuts and be happy.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I originally posted this just to vent a bit--I had my wheels off to install studded tires for the winter and I wasn't looking forward to putting them back on. But the quick release adjustment worked--both wheels are on and the rotors aren't rubbing! Thanks guys--if I continue to have trouble, those quicknuts look like a good option (and a great name for a race team) so thanks for the link...
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top