Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best wheel option for XC Marathons?

• DT 240s / Revolution Spokes / Stan's 355 Rims ($$$, lightest)

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • Hope Pro II / Revolution Spokes / Stan's 355 Rims ($$, light)

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Bontrager Race-X-Lite TLR built wheels ($, heaviest)

Votes: 3 9.7%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I think I've got my wheel options narrowed down. However, because I've become completely obsessed with this now, I'm going to run an opinion poll to see what everyone thinks is my best option.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I didn't vote because I didn't see the option I would choose. I would go with the 240, the 355 and either Competitions or supercomps.

I am a mechanic of 20 years and have built thousands of wheels. I don't like the Rev's, there is too much spoke windup because they are so thin.

For the small weight difference the other two choices will build a stronger less flexible wheel that is easier to work on in the future.

Just my opinion...

Robb

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3 Pin said:
I didn't vote because I didn't see the option I would choose. I would go with the 240, the 355 and either Competitions or supercomps.

I am a mechanic of 20 years and have built thousands of wheels. I don't like the Rev's, there is too much spoke windup because they are so thin.

For the small weight difference the other two choices will build a stronger less flexible wheel that is easier to work on in the future.

Just my opinion...

Robb
Thanks for the write-in. I thought about Supercomps but then I also figured that for my weight, 136lbs, the Revolutions should be ok. I built a set of cyclocross wheels back in the fall with DT 240s, Revolutions and NOS Mavic Helium tubular rims. They went together nice and easy and didn't have a single problem the entire season.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Yes, This is a great wheel option. I've also been at this for about 20 years, and have been building wheels for about 16 of them. I am 5'8", and 140 lbs. These wheels are super strong, and dance on the trail. I'm not riding anything else. Whe I switch to SS, I spacer up th freehub, and put an 18t and a 21t cog on there, and I'm ready to go.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
I didn't vote because the answer will depend on your budget. In all 3 cases you'll get what you pay for. How much weight savings do you want to buy?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I built up a set of ZTR 355 rims, Hope pro II hubs and supercomp spokes with brass nipples, and they came in at 787g front, and 894g rear. I weigh 123lbs at 5' 10" and with a Reba I can’t detect any flex even under fast stoppies and hard cornering. I built them in early July and have not touched them yet. My only complaint would be that the hubs are a tad bit heavy if you are going for a WW build, but I wanted a durable and serviceable hub.

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
I'm with 3 pin

"I would go with the 240, the 355 and either Competitions or supercomps."

Good insight until I saw that you only weigh 135. Revolution spokes are springy and way to light for big boys like me, but you might get away with them if weight is the biggest priority. Personally, I like a nice stiff wheel with very little wind up or flex. My frame is supple enough and I have a fork for suspension. I want my drive train to deliver every ounce of power from my foot to the ground in a forward direction. Even if there's a slight weight penalty, it usually just "feels better" on good solid wheels.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've decided I'm definitely building with Revolution spokes. As I mentioned, I built a set of cx wheels last fall with some NOS Mavic Helium rims, DT 240 hubs and Revolution spokes. Sort of my own version of the original pre-built Heliums. I had a set of those once too. Anyway, my wheels with the Revolutions are great. The accelerate way faster and are significantly lighter than the original Heliums. I feel comfortable building with these spokes. Now it's just a matter of hubs. I'm leaning toward the Hopes at this point because they are siginficantly cheaper for only 47grams gained. Plus, I've had DT hubs, and while they are definitely TOP QUALITY, sometimes you just want to try something else. I appreciate the votes and the comments. It's always fun to read other people's opinions and reasons.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone know what the aftermarket Bontrager rims weigh? They aren't listed on the Bontrager web page, but I know my LBS could get them. I have to doubt though that they weigh less than the Stan's rims at 410gr.

·
This place needs an enema
17,245 Posts
ndbike said:
Does anyone know what the aftermarket Bontrager rims weigh? They aren't listed on the Bontrager web page, but I know my LBS could get them. I have to doubt though that they weigh less than the Stan's rims at 410gr.
They're 490g/rim.

I would NOT recommend Rev's if you decide to build with the 355's. If you end up using the Bont OSB's, Rev's *might* be OK, but I'd suggest that you bring the tension up to ~120% of max.

MC

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mikesee said:
I would NOT recommend Rev's if you decide to build with the 355's. If you end up using the Bont OSB's, Rev's *might* be OK, but I'd suggest that you bring the tension up to ~120% of max. MC
Mike, I understand you are a VERY experienced wheel builder. I've done some wheel building in the past, although mostly road and a couple cyclocross. Why the emphatic NO to the 355 & Revolution combo?

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
I don't see my top choices in the poll either, though you have posted some intriguing choices.
I think money aside, I'd go with I9 wheels laced into either the Bonti TLD rim with OSB or the Stans rim.
Or, I'd just talk with mikesee about it and go from there. Either way, I'd look for the input of your wheel builder/seller. I9 can advise you on rim choices and mikesee is just so knowledgeable and honest.

Have fun and let us know what you decide. Oh yeah, what bike will you be riding them on?

OGG

·
This place needs an enema
17,245 Posts
ndbike said:
Mike, I understand you are a VERY experienced wheel builder. I've done some wheel building in the past, although mostly road and a couple cyclocross. Why the emphatic NO to the 355 & Revolution combo?
The NoTubes folks don't rate the 355 for full spoke tension. So you'd be building a light rim with light spokes at light tension, which means (IME) that you'd get a light wheel that won't be stiff in any plane (not too big a deal for you at 136#), BUT since the spokes aren't at full tension it's not gonna hold it's true or tension for long. The spokes will be prone to loosening.

If you're stuck on Rev's and a light rim, check out the DT RR 1.1 with single eyelets.

Bottom line is that every build has compromises--you just have to know what you're getting into so that you can decide if the compromises are right for YOU.

MC

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OneGearGuy said:
I don't see my top choices in the poll either, though you have posted some intriguing choices.
I think money aside, I'd go with I9 wheels laced into either the Bonti TLD rim with OSB or the Stans rim.
Or, I'd just talk with mikesee about it and go from there. Either way, I'd look for the input of your wheel builder/seller. I9 can advise you on rim choices and mikesee is just so knowledgeable and honest.

Have fun and let us know what you decide. Oh yeah, what bike will you be riding them on?

OGG
Well, I'm going to be the wheel builder and I'm trying to stick to things I can get through my LBS. One of the guys at the shop who is about my height/weight is riding a set of 355's with Revolutions and DT Hubs. That's where that idea came from. Then I started looking around for hub options that were almost as light but somewhat cheaper and that is how I arrived at Hope Pro II's. Also I've got the option of the Bontrager stuff through the shop too, but the guys there who ride 29er's didn't have much good to say about the Bonty 29er offerings, even though they really like the Bonty 26" stuff.

I'm getting a Fisher Paragon, but I'll changing the brakes, stem, handle bar, seat post, cranks and obviously the wheels.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.