Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my rear wheel went out of true again yesterday after a long ride...this is the 3rd time this has happened in past couple of months...I run mavic 317's with a WTB laserdisc lite hub...and I was wondering if I needed to get a beefier wheelset or what?....I am heavy (250+) and was wondering if that had something to do with it as well..if I do need to get a new wheelset..what should I get?..I cant go over $400...thanks for the input.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The key is spoke tension. It should be high and uniform and stress relieved to hold trueness. What is the DS tension?

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
*edit* My head is stuck in the 29er world, and you didn't specify which 317 you're talking about, so I modified my answer to be more general:

The 317 is very narrow, especially for someone of your size.
If you like your hubs, you might look at relacing them to wider and stouter rim than the 317. I'd really recommend something 21mm (+) in width, like Stan's Flow or WTB Laser TCS Trail. For something even beefier, you might look at a WTB Dual Duty FR or Sun Ringlé MTX33 (these rim rec's are for 29er, but at least some of them come in 26" if that's what you're on).

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they are 26"..they came stock on my bike...and I guess I need an upgrade but I cant sink a ton of money in rims..but I need to get something that will hold up...I was looking at a pair of mavic crossride 2010's...and they have mixed reviews...but the price is pretty good.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
317 + clyde do not mix well usually and if the wheels leave the ground a lot for sure don't mix. In the past lacing up to Rhyno Lites rims was the cheap bombproof way to get strong wheels but now i am not sure. Post up in the Clydesdale forum and see what they say in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.