Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an old hand me down wheel set with old XT hubs, and mavic 217 wheels. The braking surfaces are pretty worn and dished, and I want to change them. What reasonably priced wheel in the 430 gram range can interchange w/o the need for new spokes? I plan to run these for the time being, but as soon as I can afford it, I'm going to build a good set of wheels and save these for like keeping road tires on or something.. (ie, don't want to spend a lot of money on them!)

·
Candlestick Maker
3,567 Posts
bmadau said:
I've got an old hand me down wheel set with old XT hubs, and mavic 217 wheels. The braking surfaces are pretty worn and dished, and I want to change them. What reasonably priced wheel in the 430 gram range can interchange w/o the need for new spokes? I plan to run these for the time being, but as soon as I can afford it, I'm going to build a good set of wheels and save these for like keeping road tires on or something.. (ie, don't want to spend a lot of money on them!)
You want a rim with the same (or very close) ERD. Check out spocalc for a some ERD's.
You can also plug in various rims and figure out which will give you nearly identical spoke lengths to your current wheelset.

http://www.damonrinard.com/spocalc.htm

Cambria has some rims that look like they will fit the bill (even the 217):

http://cambriabike.com/SALE/rim/index.htm

baker

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
bmadau said:
I have found decent light closeout rims for as little as $7 online. Look around a bit, there are bargains out there (try thorusa.com then call them and ask).

Then buy some new spokes. You will be much happier in the long run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.