Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke a trailing drive side spoke last week while truing last week. I picked up a new spoke and nipple to replace it. Before I did, I detensioned all the spokes without the tire of course. After retentioning, it developed about a 1.5mm hop I can't get out because I don't want to apply anymore tension than what I have. Now that I've already set the wheel up tubeless with Stan's again, can I take down the tension and remove the hop as I'm retensioning without removing the tire? Obviously, the best solution is to remove the tire. Just trying to avoid the hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
You can try to fix it with the tire on, but it should be much easier with the tire off and the truing stand indicators close the rim. If your maxed out in tension than when you put the wheel in the truing stand reduce tension on the low spots of the rim to get the wheel round. If the tension become too low then you can add tension back at the high spots.

·
Registered
15,086 Posts
You can try to fix it with the tire on, but it should be much easier with the tire off and the truing stand indicators close the rim. If your maxed out in tension than when you put the wheel in the truing stand reduce tension on the low spots of the rim to get the wheel round. If the tension become too low then you can add tension back at the high spots.
Good advice IMO. Once you get the hang of it hops aren't really any harder to deal with than side to side truing but that tire needs to be off the rim to do it easily.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I worked on it today and got the hop out. The good news in this was I was able to talk my wife in to letting me build a second wheelset. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts