Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a Riot frame this week and i'm super stoked! But, I can't decide if I should go with a Flow MK3 or Arch Mk3 wheel set....i'll be going with CRC Hope Pro4 custom build. I'm leaning towards the Arch as they will be a tad lighter, but i'm wondering if the added width and strength of the Flowmk3 is more important? I live in the Albany, NY area and will mostly be trail riding, nothing too crazy. Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
for the small weight difference overall i would go flows as they are much stronger and have a wider width. Inner width is more important when it comes to how the tires grip and the width of tire you can run for traction.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You want the stiffer wheels for sure. This bike loves to turn and having wheels that hold the line just adds so much to the experience.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply; that makes sense. To complicate things further, i'm also now looking at the Spank OOzy trail and Easton ARC wheels, which both seem to get great reviews.
Any thoughts/opinions out there?

·
Let the good times roll.
1,182 Posts
I vote against ARC wheels. My rear Arc 27 dented the first time I went to the mountains. And again when I went back. Not DH, just rocky southwest VA singletrack. I've ridden those trails on Flow rims many times with no issues. Same tires at the same pressure. Hardly a comprehensive scientific test, but my personal experience has not been good. I plan to get new wheels with Flow MK3s soon.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I don't see why the Arch even exists; it's 2016, who's riding a rim that narrow these days?

WTB Asyms have been doing right by me; offset spoke holes are an idea I wonder why it's take so long to catch on. They build a stiffer wheel - defiantly appreciated on the Riot which is not the stiffest frame in back.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Save up alittle further. It will be worth your money to go thru colorado cyclist and get some base custom wheels built up.

for roughly $650 could get a set built up thru them with spank hoops, decent spokes, and hope hubs.

Not the best wheelset on the market but a great budget build at half the price of a great wheelset.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I would go higher grade hubs and lower grade hoops.... that being said Im now on noble carbon hoops cx-rays and onyx hubs but i think hubsessed would agree... (surprised he hasn't posted yet)

I have been thru many wheelsets and so have two of my buddies other guys on i9's and onyx with nox hoops currently. I have ridden everything from sram or shimano wheels to baller wheel builds and can say i would get the best hub you can and run a flow, spank, or easton hoop (budget strong hoops all 3) and run a decent hub like the hope or if you can fork out like $750 for wheelset get i9s thru the company i mentioned above.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions; i ordered a set yesterday from crc, pro4 hubs, flow mk3, comp spokes. I was happy with my last set of flow ex so im hoping these are as good.
Thanks again everyone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts