Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed this today. There is a crack in my rear wheel right at the spoke nipple. There is still tension in spoke and the wheel is plenty true. They are Sun Ringle Duroc 45mm aluminum wheels. Am I going to have to get new wheels immediately, or is it fine to ride till next season. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Send the photos off to sunringle if it is a newish bike and see what they do.

I had the same in a WTB rim that was 12mths old, they sent a replacement straight away.
Good luck with getting everything taken care of. I bet they will do the right thing.
Unfortunately these are OEMs on a 2018 model bike

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
My Trek Full Stache wheel (also with a Sun Ringle Duroc rim, but 36mm wide) did exactly that on every drive side spoke hole after about 3,000 kms of riding. Trek replaced it under warranty. It seems this is only good for 2 years on their alloy rims, but (assuming it's from a Trek) if you're the original owner it's worth seeing what they'll do. I replaced my wheel with a DT Swiss hub and a WTB Tough rim with 32 spokes rather than the original 28, but if you're happy with the hub you could just replace the rim and spokes.

Good luck

Tim

·
Registered
11 Posts
I find this by Google on Duroc as a replacement to my wtb scraper i40. Mine was about 1.5yrs old with about 3000km. Came stock on my salsa timberjack. Now seems all those wider rim are weaker\or the added traction really stressed the wheel more. I have almost all drive side spoke holes cracked
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread

Rim still true, never trued the wheel before.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I be thinking over tensioned?
I do not have a gauage to measure it. But it come as stock and never been true. I counted there are 9 cracks, all on the cassette side spokes. Front wheel have no damage at all.
Can anyone recommend a more durable budget wheel ?? I am now debating on the Trek Line Comp 40 or DT M1900 35

Here is a video of the damage, the whole centre section seems stressed with some white mark. I am 190lbs, no jump, but do ride in some steep techincal climb.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.