Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new Niner AIR9 frame in that I'm working on building up and I'm looking to spend 3-400 on a wheel set. I've gotten all of my parts picked out so far but am struggling a little bit with the wheel set decision.

I've read reviews on all of them and they all seem to be a decent budget choice, but would be curious if anyone would have insight as to which one would be be best and why. I'm not planning on going tubeless at all so that's not a concern. I've listed the three below that I am thinking are my best options. If anyone has any other better performing suggestions in this range or insight as to which I should go with I'd really appreciate it.

Fulcrum Red Power XL (can get a wheel set shipped for under $300 currently)

Sun Ringle Charger Expert (can also get wheel set shipped under $300. this is the set that im currently thinking is my best option)

Mavic Crossride Disc 29 (least desireable option so far i believe)

thanks for the insight!

:thumbsup:

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
I would save your pennies and get a custom build. They are a little more expensive, but will last longer than the wheels you listed.

I may be a little biased though... :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the infomercial per your signature, but not trying to blow up the budget on something custom. Just looking to get the bike up and running for the time being and may hit up hubsessedcycleworks.com later down the road for a custom build.

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
Appreciate the infomercial per your signature, but not trying to blow up the budget on something custom. Just looking to get the bike up and running for the time being and may hit up hubsessedcycleworks.com later down the road for a custom build.

Like I said, I am biased :) of the Choices I would go for the Chargers. Sun is a good company and will take care of you if anything happens.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have fulcrums. Great wheels, light and stay true for long time. You can get them for under $250 if you search hard enough. I like the fact that they're easy to maintain, the hub is quiet and it has decent 36 POE for this price.
Chargers are heavier but may be better if you plan to do AM riding.

·
Registered
426 Posts
You can get a set in budget if you look / ask around. My first quality & light built wheelset has been an eyeopening experience. Roll faster, handle precisely, etc. No regrets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts