Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to use https://www.wheelproject.com/en/stan-s-no-tubes-ztr-flow-mk3-29-dt-swiss-350-is-boost-1790g-wheelset

To build myself a pair of wheels. I know what I should pick and what I dont want BUT I have no clue what so ever about which spokes I should choose.

Im not particularly weight horny, I ride a 2019 stumpy after all.

Reason for using this site is because they are located in EU, and as much as I would like to buy from an American wheelbuilder or elsewhere I get taxed alot thus this site is seemingly cheap.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I've not gotten taxed on my Stans rims. But, besides that.

I am sold on Swiss DT Apline III triple butted spokes. There are lighter spokes out there, but these have been really solid. I rebuilt our 36H mountain tandem wheelset with them and they are flawless so far.

Their thicknesses are 2.34mm J-Bend / 1.8 / 2.0 Nipple end.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I am sold on Swiss DT Apline III triple butted spokes. There are lighter spokes out there, but these have been really solid. I rebuilt our 36H mountain tandem wheelset with them and they are flawless so far.

Thanks for the response. Altho those spokes are not available in the listing.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,788 Posts
Im going to use https://www.wheelproject.com/en/stan-s-no-tubes-ztr-flow-mk3-29-dt-swiss-350-is-boost-1790g-wheelset

To build myself a pair of wheels. I know what I should pick and what I dont want BUT I have no clue what so ever about which spokes I should choose.

Im not particularly weight horny, I ride a 2019 stumpy after all.

Reason for using this site is because they are located in EU, and as much as I would like to buy from an American wheelbuilder or elsewhere I get taxed alot thus this site is seemingly cheap.
You want the Sapim Race spokes. They are a very good, very common, pretty standard double butted spoke. Don't over think this one.

·
damned rocks...
2,640 Posts
By default I would go with Sapim Race or DT Competition both with double butted 2.0/1.8 if I wouldn't want to spend much and have good wheels.
But my spokes of election are Sapim D-Light, they are more expensive and lighter.
I have built my last wheelsets with them and I'am 100% happy.

Enviado do meu Nexus 5 através do Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Any double butted spokes work for me. I choose double butted as the thinner center section is somewhat more elastic than that straight gauge which helps distribute the stress of hits over more spokes and length of the rim. I find they hold true better and are less likely to break at the bend or nipple than straight gauge. Weight is fun to think about, but has no consequential impact.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts

That is a really good design.

Right now all my wheels are using 2/1.5/2 spokes, 160lb rider. No problems.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,788 Posts
Another question, are the wheels selected better than my roval traverse alloy wheels that came stock with my stumpy 19 LT?
No clue about the specs of your stock wheels unless you post details. My thought is that DT 350/Stans Flow/Sapim Race wheels built by hand are way, way better!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No clue about the specs of your stock wheels unless you post details. My thought is that DT 350/Stans Flow/Sapim Race wheels built by hand are way, way better!!
Roval Traverse Alloy, as stated in the message above yours. The only details available is :

FRONT HUB Specialized, sealed cartridge bearings, 15x110mm spacing, 28h
REAR HUB Specialized, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 28h
INNER TUBES Standard, Presta valve
SPOKES DT Swiss Industry
RIMS Roval Traverse 29, hookless alloy, 30mm inner width, tubeless ready, 28h

I know for a fact that the hubs are ****. They are worthless when it comes to engagement.

Edit : I run them tubeless tho, which was a breeze.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.