Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never built a wheelset before but I would like to build a set, some red rims to go with my bike, but I'm a little lost on the details. I have the "Zinn" book of mountain bike maintainence and have read through it but I also heard that the different sides of the wheel have different spoke lengths? Also, I heard there is a certain way they need to be laced for disc hubs, which I'll be using. Does anyone know where I can get this info. I know it's a large feat but it's something I'd like to tackle and know that what I'm riding on, I've done myself. Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
538 Posts
It's not so much hard as kind of an art. How about you find one of the local mechanics in a shop and have a session on Saturday AM while it's quiet with donuts. The books are a great reference, but nothing beats hand on with someone who knows at hand to say "you've got it all wrong" while it's just laced not trued and tensioned.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I have used Mike T's guide and Sheldon Brown's for a number of wheels. Take your time, pay attention and you will be fine. It may not be the perfect wheel first time but it will perfectly serviceable and should give you plenty of life.

Wombat

·
Registered
172 Posts
The Brandt book worked well for me. On the correct lacing of a front disc hub follow his instructions for a rear with the front disc side being the equivalent of the freewheel side on the rear. That will leave your pulling spokes oriented correctly.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Wombat said:
I have used Mike T's guide and Sheldon Brown's for a number of wheels. Take your time, pay attention and you will be fine. It may not be the perfect wheel first time but it will perfectly serviceable and should give you plenty of life.

Wombat
to add to this, in my opinion there is no reason why it won't come out perfect if you are not limited on time. honestly, i don't see how my first set of wheels could have been much better. it took me a lot longer....but who cares, i was learning.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
i tried Mike Ts guide, and Sheldon's....neither did it for me. i prefer Gerd Schraner's book, The Art of Wheel Building. That was 3 or 4yrs ago. I now own The Bicycle Wheel and think it's a rather good read, but too technical when someone just wants to build a wheel.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
Wombat said:
Wombat
The guides give you all the info that's needed - parts selection, spoking pattern, sufficient tension, equal tension. Follow the info and what's to prevent "the perfect wheel first time"?

·
IFSDlxSS IFTiFLWMtb GFAdv
242 Posts
Sheldon Brown helped loads!! It also helps to have a wheelset that's already built up as a guideline since it is your first time lacing. The learning curve is really quick once you do your first wheelset.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Mike T. said:
The guides give you all the info that's needed - parts selection, spoking pattern, sufficient tension, equal tension. Follow the info and what's to prevent "the perfect wheel first time"?
Only operator error. This was a reflection on me rather than quality of the instructions.

Wombat

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.