Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Howell, MI
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the same question going in the save some weight forum. Might find a better answer here.

I'm somewhat new to this weight obsession thing. I am trying to figure out the weight of this wheel build. Individual weights are easy enough to figure, but what about the complete build?
Valve stems, nipples, rim strips/tape? I would want to run tubeless. Is Stan's yellow tape enough to seal the Olympic rim? Will regular nipples work, or are they special?

This as you know will be expensive. I just want to get an informed result before I make the decision to commit.

Here is what I'm considering.

Hubs: Dt Swiss 240S 154/273 g = 427 g
Spokes Sapim CX-Ray Spokes X 64 = 278 g
Stan's ZTR Olympic Disc 347/347g = 694 g
DT alloy nipples X 64 = 28 g
Stan's yellow tape 10 g?
Total 1437 g

Would my wheels really weigh less than 1500 g????

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
What you have there will probably weigh....

between 1435 and 1450g. However, you don't have all the components listed. You can add another 10 to 15g each for the valve stem and then add in the weight of Stans sealant. Not sure what that would weigh per wheel. Then add in TIRES!!!! I don't understand why people always advertise a wheel set weight that is INCOMPLETE! A wheel set weight without tires is meaningless. But then there are so many different tires out there at so many different weights that it would probably be impossible. Anway don't forget to factor in the sealant and the valve stems. Those are constants that will or should not vary. And yes stans rim strips should be all you need, and no there is no need to use special nipples with stans. So, I would guess that your wheels will have a final weight, minus tires, of right around 1500g plus or minus a few grams. Then add in the tires that you intend to use and you'll have your complete wheel set weight. Just don't be too disappointend if the weight is a little heavier than that. Manufacturers tend to give weights for their products that are on the, shall we say, opptimitic side. Actual weights of components are quite often a tad more than claimed. But you should end up with a nice light set of wheels for sure.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Squash said:
I don't understand why people always advertise a wheel set weight that is INCOMPLETE! A wheel set weight without tires is meaningless. Good Dirt
Are you for real that you don't understand this, it sure sounds like you are confused?

The tire weight SHOULD NOT be listed as part of the wheelset weight as that is a completely different variable.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
fsr1 said:
I have the same question going in the save some weight forum. Might find a better answer here.

I'm somewhat new to this weight obsession thing. I am trying to figure out the weight of this wheel build. Individual weights are easy enough to figure, but what about the complete build?
Valve stems, nipples, rim strips/tape? I would want to run tubeless. Is Stan's yellow tape enough to seal the Olympic rim? Will regular nipples work, or are they special?

This as you know will be expensive. I just want to get an informed result before I make the decision to commit.

Here is what I'm considering.

Hubs: Dt Swiss 240S 154/273 g = 427 g
Spokes Sapim CX-Ray Spokes X 64 = 278 g
Stan's ZTR Olympic Disc 347/347g = 694 g
DT alloy nipples X 64 = 28 g
Stan's yellow tape 10 g?
Total 1437 g

Would my wheels really weigh less than 1500 g????
I'm getting ready to build that exact combo for a customer, I'll post the exact weight when I'm done, should be by early next week.

Larry Mettler
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
GearHead said:
Are you for real that you don't understand this, it sure sounds like you are confused?

The tire weight SHOULD NOT be listed as part of the wheelset weight as that is a completely different variable.
Agreed!

A wheelset weight is usually quoted with hubs, spokes, nipples and rims, nothing else. No skewers, (usually) no rim strips, no valves, no disc rotors, no gear set (cassette, FW or track cog), no tires, no tubes, no sealant.

·
Howell, MI
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ventanarama said:
I'm getting ready to build that exact combo for a customer, I'll post the exact weight when I'm done, should be by early next week.

Larry Mettler
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]
Thank's Larry, That would really be appreciated. While your at it send me a qoute for a set built, and sent to Michigan 48843

Thank's again
Mark D
[email protected]

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Sorry, my bad, the post was not complete...

GearHead said:

I was at work on luch break when I posted it. Got interupted by a couple of phone calls and didn't complete the idea.

I understand that you can't advertise variables. To complete the idea, Don't forget to factor in what you will be using for additional components, rim strips, brake rotors, tires, tubes, sealant, etc., to get your complete wheel set weight.

I realize that a builder can't factor in these variables. But the advertised wheel set weight is not accurate in determining what the final weight of the whole wheel set will be. A complete wheel set in a useable condition includes all components of the wheel, not just rims, spokes, nipples, and hubs.

I shouldn't post complex ideas at work. Interuptions make me loose my train of thought.

Bad post on my part Sorry!

Good Dirt

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Squash said:
I was at work on luch break when I posted it. Got interupted by a couple of phone calls and didn't complete the idea.

I understand that you can't advertise variables. To complete the idea, Don't forget to factor in what you will be using for additional components, rim strips, brake rotors, tires, tubes, sealant, etc., to get your complete wheel set weight.

I realize that a builder can't factor in these variables. But the advertised wheel set weight is not accurate in determining what the final weight of the whole wheel set will be. A complete wheel set in a useable condition includes all components of the wheel, not just rims, spokes, nipples, and hubs.

I shouldn't post complex ideas at work. Interuptions make me loose my train of thought.

Bad post on my part Sorry!

Good Dirt
No change in my reply. The way wheelset weights are currently reported is the easiest way to accurately compare them.

Your method would be like a frame builder that does not sell a complete bike only reporting the weight for a complete bike. Interesting but useless if even one of the components is not the same as what you want to use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.