Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a new front wheel for my 29er. For a hoop I'm going to use Krish Holm 36 hole and Halo Spin Doctor Front Hub. Where I'm having trouble is finding out the spoke length. If you could help me out that would be great. Also what size nipple do I need?

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
BKnight said:
I'm building a new front wheel for my 29er. For a hoop I'm going to use Krish Holm 36 hole and Halo Spin Doctor Front Hub. Where I'm having trouble is finding out the spoke length. If you could help me out that would be great. Also what size nipple do I need?
You are asking scary questions to be building a wheel. Read this and buy this and then post any questions here.

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol, yea, i really had no idea what i was doing :D thanks for the links

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, I've read pretty much every thing i can find, played around with several combos and calculators, and i've decided to go with dt swiss revolution spokes, kris holm 36 holm rim, hope pro2 hub 36 hole

last question i have is determining the number of crosses. from what i've read, theres no definite answer, i know more crosses is stronger, i'm just wondering what will work for a 36 hole set up

·
Registered
240 Posts
if your LBS is good, why not have them build if this is a one time experience? do you have a truing stand? a dishing tool? spoke tension gauge? with great help, i have recently learned to build wheels. i built 2 sets with VERY hands on instruction. i had read a lot, but i would have F'd it up pretty well without some real monkey see, monkey do time. it is definitely fun, and great skill to have......but doing it just from reading i think will be sketchy.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
BKnight said:
ok, I've read pretty much every thing i can find, played around with several combos and calculators, and i've decided to go with dt swiss revolution spokes, kris holm 36 holm rim, hope pro2 hub 36 hole

last question i have is determining the number of crosses. from what i've read, theres no definite answer, i know more crosses is stronger, i'm just wondering what will work for a 36 hole set up
I would not use Revos with the KH rim. The minor weigh loss is not worth the added "flex" and reduced strength compared to Comps.

Use 4X with 36 spokes.

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its on a niner EMD and i ride very aggressively. I'm considering taking it to the LBS so it can be done right, but i still want to pick out my own parts and so forth. I rebuilt one of my wheels and it seemed to of come out decent, but I can see where theres a lot of error involved.

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
one last question.
I was using the dtswiss calculator for spoke length and the right side needs to be 299mm and the left side 298mm can i go ahead and just get 299 and use it for both sides?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
BKnight said:
one last question.
I was using the dtswiss calculator for spoke length and the right side needs to be 299mm and the left side 298mm can i go ahead and just get 299 and use it for both sides?
If you are not building the wheels ask your wheelbuilder.

·
don't move for trees
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i want to order all of my stuff cause i can get it cheaper and faster then going through a shop. does 1mm really make a difference?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
BKnight said:
i want to order all of my stuff cause i can get it cheaper and faster then going through a shop. does 1mm really make a difference?
If you do not ask the wheelbuilder what length spokes he wants to use you may need to pay for another set. If he gets the lengths wrong, he pays.

Yes, 1mm can make a difference, depending on the rounding of the calculations.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.