·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DT swiss comp spokes
Mavic XC 717 disc rims
King ISO disc hubs
DT standard al nip.
Stans tubeless
Maxxis High Roller Type R tires NON UST

This set will be for everyday riding. Not just for racing. My main concern is will these rims hold up for everyday riding or should I go with a heavier rim?

·
Don't touch me!
854 Posts
It all depends on your weight, what type of riding, and how "heavy" you ride (light, moderate, etc).

I've been using Mavic 317's for a while and they've held up fine under my 165#s of light cc riding.

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Depends on your weight again--the King hubs will hold up as well as the DT spokes--but it your weak point will be the XC 717s. I personally run the XC 717s everyday and they hold up perfectly fine; but I'm only 135#s.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm 180lbs, I guess I better get a heavier rim. As far as my riding style I don't take huge jumps or anything, maybe 2-3" drops at the most.

What rim would you guys recommend?

·
Dude!
132 Posts
As per advice from others and things I have read, the DT 4.1ds are the way to go. A tad bit heavier but supposedly a better, stronger rim. I am at #195. The 717's are nice no doubt, but this is just what people have said. I recently had Larry lace me a set of HopeXC/DT 4.1d/Supercomps. Love them. I also have a 819/CK ISO set...love the CKs but the $$$ is insane this year otherwise i would have done the CKs again. Just my .02...either way, you will have a smokin' wheelset.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Woolfe said:
I'm 180lbs, I guess I better get a heavier rim. As far as my riding style I don't take huge jumps or anything, maybe 2-3" drops at the most.

I am 180lbs and having Larry build me now me second wheelset built around DT Swiss XR4.1d rims. I have had 717s (ie, 517, 317) (395 grams) and could tell a difference in their robustness (sp?). I would highly recommend DT Swiss XR4.1d rims (425 grams) myself. The Mavic 819s (515 grams) are nice but I want to save a little bit of weight and will be using the DT Swiss Tubeless conversion kit to run tubeless tires.

In terms of hubs, I think one of the best bangs for the buck out there is the Hope Bulb. They are quite robust and relatively light and much cheaper than Kings. I will never buy Kings again given their price. I know to some people hubs are a religion but gimme a break....way too much coin. I would recommend Hadley's over Kings as many I think would agree they are at the same level as Kings.....but more affordable. However, you better hope you dont need colored Hadley's or you are waiting forever.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
you need heavier rim than 717

Woolfe said:

Hi woolfe, If you take short jumps, you need to add in your weight too. When your bike lands on the ground, 180lbs =81.6kg
81.6kg X 9.8m/s gravity =799.68 kg/m/s =Force landing. You need a heavier rim than 717. The force of landing is the one that puts actual pressure on the rim instead of your normal bodyweight on level ground. I recommend the mavic 823 RIM. I assume you want UST rim for your tubless tires.

URL http://www.mavic.com/servlet/srt/mavic/vtt-prod_fiche?product.id=82&lg=uk

·
Registered
178 Posts
Picard said:
Hi woolfe, If you take short jumps, you need to add in your weight too. When your bike lands on the ground, 180lbs =81.6kg
81.6kg X 9.8m/s gravity =799.68 kg/m/s =Force landing.
Dude, that's the worst mathmatical reasoning I've seen for a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.