Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In you past builds how have you preferred to spend your $$ i...nice rims..obviously carbon and moderate priced hubs...think DT350,Hope4 etc or the opposite quality aluminum rims and high end hubs..CK/Onyx/I9 etc?
Thanks.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
I’ve been riding the same Hadley hubs for like 8 years. First they were laced into Stan’s Flows. Then into Nextie i30 Carbon. Then into Nextie i43 Carbon.

I’m currently building up a new set, Spank Trail 345’s and Hope hubs, boost front, SS/Trials rear.

Let’s be real, if I could afford Onyx or I9 hubs, I’d probably ride those. I’m a bit of a PoE snob.
I’ve chosen that to be important to me.

I’m pretty OK with most any rim that isn’t a boat anchor, or made of cheese.
I’ve had several sets of import carbon, and while they ride great, and held up well to some damned hard abuse, I don’t really race so this time I’m going alloy for the economics. I got a screamin’ deal on the Trail 345s for $52 each from CRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Very interesting question now that frame & hub and freehub standards are changing so often. Also only a few OEM wheel suppliers offer hubs with the new Shimano micrsospline driver (though hopefully this will change over the next year or so).

On the rim side of things, at least on the carbon side, we're at the state of a new wave of technology whereby rims will be more vertically compliant (e.g. Zipp 101, CB Synthesis). Also, while we're getting closer to norms for inner width for a given tyre size, its far from being standardised.

Thus, I wouldn't be putting big $$ into rims now, and I'd think long & hard about putting big $$ into premium hubs.

In the past I've purchased premium hubs and nice rims (high-end alu and inexpensive Chinese carbon). My next build will be nice hubs e.g. Pro4 or DT350, and nice rims (high-end alu and inexpensive Chinese carbon)

I'm looking forward to the new wave of carbon rim tech hitting the inexpensive Chinese rims

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,828 Posts
Go with aluminum rims and a good rear hub. This is how I build most of my wheels. Basic front hub, high end rear hub, good aluminum rims, Sapim Race/Laser spokes, Brass nipples. Great bang for your buck.

·
turtles make me hot
11,673 Posts
I like good tubeless, I like wide rims and I like hubs I don't destroy.

Lately I've built all my own stuff as follows... Hope Pro4 rear hub with steel freehub, Bike hub store front hub, RaceFace Arc rims and Sapim double butted spokes.
My fat bike is the same recipe except Surly My Other Brother Darryl rims.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I had this conversation with a wheelbuilder recently. I used the rule of thumb in audio equipment that you spend ~ half your total budget on speakers. Transferring that thinking to wheelsets only, not the entire bike, where should I put my money on Front vs Rear wheels? Also, like the OP, what particular components of a wheel had the most "bang for the buck".

The answer was that the rear wheel was a higher $ priority than the front - as long as the front is reasonably strong, not a boat anchor, and rolls well and fits the tire size I want then it's all good. Not that a wheel is a wheel is a wheel - not saying that, just for me and what I wanted the front wasn't driving me to change. In my particular example and budget, I decided that I'd spend my budget for new wheels entirely on the rear and get around to a newer front one of these days when/if the stock hub ever failed.

Now as to components of a wheel, it depends on what's important to you - for ME I wanted a mixture of high POE and quiet freehub. That meant Onyx and they're not inexpensive - so I had to swallow hard and decide just how important having BOTH of those features were to me. Also in my case, because I'm not hard on my equipment and don't get in the air much, a good alloy rim would be just fine. CF may be nice-to-have but would probably be "gilding the lily" for the way I ride. I've yet to dent, much less taco, a rim. If on the other hand an ultra lightweight wheel were a priority for me and loudness didn't matter then Onyx would be out and CF rims might be called for depending on budget.

YMMV, but talk to a couple good wheel builders - ones who take the time to figure out what, how, where you ride - and see what you get back.

·
turtles make me hot
11,673 Posts
I've tuned up and destressed quite a few machine built wheels and they last fine after that.

Machine built wheels are like someone built the wheel and ran all the spokes up to tension once and handed it off as done. They're missing a few critical steps.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Go with aluminum rims and a good rear hub. This is how I build most of my wheels. Basic front hub, high end rear hub, good aluminum rims, Sapim Race/Laser spokes, Brass nipples. Great bang for your buck.
That's the direction I went, except I had mine built. Project321 with Oozy rims. I went with the quiet version of P321 tandem rear hub for extra durability. Lightish, quiet, strong, "affordable". Can't beat that. I like the idea of P321s springless, magnetic pawls, but time will tell if they're actually better. So far quite happy with them.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,828 Posts
That's the direction I went, except I had mine built. Project321 with Oozy rims. I went with the quiet version of P321 tandem rear hub for extra durability. Lightish, quiet, strong, "affordable". Can't beat that. I like the idea of P321s springless, magnetic pawls, but time will tell if they're actually better. So far quite happy with them.
I have a P321 rear hub on my SS. Quiet, fast engagement, strong. Agreed. Not cheap, but at least it comes in fun colors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.