Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am servicing (cleaning and repacking grease) in both wheel hubs. (M900 XTR hubs)

Question:
Is the cassette mechanism serviceable? I hope that makes sense, I hesitate calling it the 'freewheel' as I'm talking about the mechanism under the cassette body. I have already cleaned up all the bearing/races/axle body... wasn't sure if there was something else I'm missing.

It still freewheel spins ok, just feels a little bit sticky.

Thanks for any comments for this beginner post!

Rich.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
The correct term is " freehub body" I think it is I've never tinkered with XTR hubs before so I can't tell you! Good luck!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey really good feedback guys, much appreciated! The parktool site is really helpful, though I don't think I'm going to attempt disassembling the freehub body. I think I'll 'flush' with WD40... hit it with some compressed air... then liberally apply some thin lube stuff.

Agreed that morningstar deal is a heck of a tool!

Again, thanks for everyone for the input.

Rich

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Er....

Linoleum said:
Hey really good feedback guys, much appreciated! The parktool site is really helpful, though I don't think I'm going to attempt disassembling the freehub body. I think I'll 'flush' with WD40... hit it with some compressed air... then liberally apply some thin lube stuff.

Rich
You're planning on replacing bearing grease with liberally applied "thin lube stuff"? If you're successful in flushing the grease w WD40, that will likely contribute to significant bearing wear.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Interesting that the Park Tool site doesn't recommend grease.

Sheldon Brown recommends replacing freehubs rather than servicing them. Since yours is Shimano, it should be easy to acquire a replacement part. OTOH, if you have the tool to pop it off, you can save money over time by getting another season out of each freehub.

How cold is it where you are? That can have a surprising effect on freehub function. The springs that operate the pawls are surprisingly light.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Linoleum said:

Rich
If you get the Freehub Buddy, just use fresh oil (thick oil like Phil's Tenacious or gear oil works well) and it will flush the dirty stuff out. If you use the Park method, a cleaner solvent like brake cleaner would be a better than WD40. Blow all the solvent out and let it evaporate before lubing. Let the new oil soak in good and really work it into the mechanism.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Cool! the park meathod works with xtr too! I didnt know that!!! when I finally get to tinker with a xtr hub that will be usefull!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.