Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

Trying to get my wheelset picked out. I think I've narrowed it down to 3 choices. Here they are:

American Classic Terrain
TERRAIN|26 / 650B / 29 TUBELESS

Mavic Crossroc
Crossroc WTS | Mavic - United States

Stan's Flow EX
ZTR Flow EX 650b Stock Wheelset

Stan's Arch EX
ZTR Arch EX 650b Stock Wheelset

Okay, I know, I threw a 4th in there. So I actually have two contenders with the Stan's wheelsets.

I'm 6'2" and around 210-215lbs fully geared. These will be for my Soma B Side build. When I started wheelset shopping the only criteria that I really put forth for myself was the weight of the wheelset had to be under 1900grams and be tubeless compatable just in case I choose to go that route in the near future.

The Mavics are the price winner (especially considering that they come with tires) but I worry about the spoke number on those wheels although I'm sure they would hold up just fine.

The Stan's offerings win as far as weight in concerned but they are truly at the top of my buget list. I have found them for around $530 and $500 is what I considered 'tops' for me.

Then there are the American Classic Terrains. I really like these. They are just a little easier on the wallet than the Stan's and the weight penalty doesn't seem too bad.

So, any suggestions or experience to share? If so, it is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance-

J.

·
BMF
593 Posts
I got Flows built up on XT hubs a few months ago for around $500 out the door with Schwalbe TL snakeskin tires from Colorado Cyclist. I don't think you can go wrong with the Flows or Arch if you want something lighter. Why bother setting them up with tubes though?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got Flows built up on XT hubs a few months ago for around $500 out the door with Schwalbe TL snakeskin tires from Colorado Cyclist. I don't think you can go wrong with the Flows or Arch if you want something lighter. Why bother setting them up with tubes though?
Hey, thanks! What was the weight of your wheelset with the XT hubs?

I need to go tubeless. Just never done it before and somewhat intimidated by it...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Your best deal is the Hope Hoops Stan's Flow or Arch deal from cyclesportsuk. $480 shipped for Hope Pro II hubs on Flow EX or Arch EX, your choice of hub color. Merlin's has them for slightly less but only in black hubs. I got mine in 3 days delivered to my west coast doorstep from the UK. Wheels are freaking beautiful and hit your weight requirement

·
BMF
593 Posts
Not sure what they weigh - I went with alloy nips and set up tubeless they don't feel heavy at all, but I wouldn't say they feel super light either. On the trail they perform great. I have XT centerlock only hubs on 2 builds now and run XT brakes with ice tech rotors on both. I am finding XT hubs to be a great value so far for my setups. The flows are definitely wide! I have arches on my other mtn bike and they are definitely lighter but aren't nearly as fat. Arches are probably good enough for 90% of the riding I do but I wanted the Flows for my 650 build as I'll be trying to get into a little more trouble with this one.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey. Thanks for the feedback everyone! Not made my decision yet, but you all gave me some different avenues to consider. Thanks again!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Another thing to consider is the width, the Mavics are a touch narrower and comparing my Mavics to how my Flows seem to hold a tyre I get far less tyre roll/squirm with the Flows. And they're tough as nails, without being brittle which I get the feeling from the Mavics.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have Flow EX on DT supercomp spokes, aluminum nipples, and Hope hubs and with tape and valves they were 1900 grams on the button. These wheels have held up to serious abuse for the past year, including 5 days in the bike park (dh bike was broken). They are probably overbuilt, but its nice to know they'll be solid for years to come. I run flow ex rims on my DH bike as well, and they've done well there too. I weigh 210 lb for what its worth. Good luck with the choice. Sorry can't speak to the other options, as i've never had them.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another thing to consider is the width, the Mavics are a touch narrower and comparing my Mavics to how my Flows seem to hold a tyre I get far less tyre roll/squirm with the Flows. And they're tough as nails, without being brittle which I get the feeling from the Mavics.
I have Flow EX on DT supercomp spokes, aluminum nipples, and Hope hubs and with tape and valves they were 1900 grams on the button. These wheels have held up to serious abuse for the past year, including 5 days in the bike park (dh bike was broken). They are probably overbuilt, but its nice to know they'll be solid for years to come. I run flow ex rims on my DH bike as well, and they've done well there too. I weigh 210 lb for what its worth. Good luck with the choice. Sorry can't speak to the other options, as i've never had them.
Hi. I appreciate the input. Looks like I'm leaning toward the Flow or the Arch wheelsets.

I know the Arch is more narrow so does that mean I will possibly have more problems with set-up reliability running tubeless? Not really trying to be 'weight -minded' as far as the wheelset is concerned, but they are a good bit less for the same price. I'm obviously still learning the ins and outs of some of this and and definitely don't want to be looking back and regretting my purchase. This will be my biggest component purchase ever...

90% of my riding is XC style and my wheels rarely leave the ground. I am guilty of choosing some really terrible lines and hitting roots, etc... kind of rough sometimes.

For comparison, I have Mavic117s w/ Formula hubs on my geared bike and have never had issue with them. I have Sun 0* Lights with Surly 1x1 (rear) and White Industries (front) hubs on my single speed. They are old, but stay true to the limited abuse I put them through.

Thanks again everyone-

·
Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
1,630 Posts
Hi. I appreciate the input. Looks like I'm leaning toward the Flow or the Arch wheelsets.

I know the Arch is more narrow so does that mean I will possibly have more problems with set-up reliability running tubeless? Not really trying to be 'weight -minded' as far as the wheelset is concerned, but they are a good bit less for the same price. I'm obviously still learning the ins and outs of some of this and and definitely don't want to be looking back and regretting my purchase. This will be my biggest component purchase ever...

90% of my riding is XC style and my wheels rarely leave the ground. I am guilty of choosing some really terrible lines and hitting roots, etc... kind of rough sometimes.

For comparison, I have Mavic117s w/ Formula hubs on my geared bike and have never had issue with them. I have Sun 0* Lights with Surly 1x1 (rear) and White Industries (front) hubs on my single speed. They are old, but stay true to the limited abuse I put them through.

Thanks again everyone-
wheeljack,

You might consider the Pacenti TL28 and DL31 wheels as well. We are getting fantastic feedback from our customers on these wheels, and they have been proven on some of the toughest DH tracks on the IXS / WC circuit.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wheeljack,

You might consider the Pacenti TL28 and DL31 wheels as well. We are getting fantastic feedback from our customers on these wheels, and they have been proven on some of the toughest DH tracks on the IXS / WC circuit.
Hi Kirk, thank you for the post. I could not find a wheelset using these rims doing a quick Google searc. Would I have to purchase and have them built?

Could you send me a tester set in return for a in depth enthusiast review? I could pay to have them shipped back when finished...

Sorry, but I couldn't help but ask. I figure the worst you could do is laugh at me and say no... ;)

I will do some homework on them.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
666 Posts
my only thought would be "how long has stan's been making wheels for?"

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
I think that you cant go wrong with stans arch ex rims and your choice of hubs and spokes or the built wheelset @ 1685g. Im in the process of building up some arch exs laced 32 x 3 to 240s hubs but have yet to settle on spokes at this point.

·
Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
1,630 Posts
Hi Kirk, thank you for the post. I could not find a wheelset using these rims doing a quick Google searc. Would I have to purchase and have them built?

I will do some homework on them.

Thanks again!
Wheeljack,

You can buy the rims and have them built by your LBS. Or we can build them for you. We currently build them to order here in Chattanooga.

Here are a couple reviews:

DL31

TL28

Cheers,
KP

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello everyone. Well, I went with the Stan's Arch wheelset. I'm a little sick to my stomach now. Not too long ago I said I would never pay that much for a wheelset... I'm sure I'll get over it though and not be disappointed :)

Now, I need tires. This build process is endless!

Thanks again for the opinions and help-

·
Registered
366 Posts
Wheeljack,

You can buy the rims and have them built by your LBS. Or we can build them for you. We currently build them to order here in Chattanooga.

Here are a couple reviews:

DL31

TL28

Cheers,
KP
Hi Kirk,
So which one of them is for all mountain use in a rocky trail that will stay strong in rock gardens with drops etc (light downhill)?
The DL31?
Will a TL28 survive the task or I will always have to worry about it?
I was thinking of a 26" set on an El Guapo FS.
What do you think?

·
Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
1,630 Posts
Hi Kirk,
So which one of them is for all mountain use in a rocky trail that will stay strong in rock gardens with drops etc (light downhill)?
The DL31?
Will a TL28 survive the task or I will always have to worry about it?
I was thinking of a 26" set on an El Guapo FS.
What do you think?
The DL31 is probably the way to go for the El Guapo.

And fwiw, our Pro DH teams are loving the DL31.

Cheers,
KP

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thank you very much for your answer Kirk.
I think that's the best thing to do.
I'll get back with the final verdict and with pictures!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts