Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled the trigger on a new F/S MTB. I was just told 30lbs is a little heavy for full suspension! This came from a person Unfamiliar with the the manufacture. I just thought I would ask? DON’T BE HATERZ NOW!

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Too vague

What type of bike is it? XC full suspension rigs will run anywhere from the mid 20 lb mark to mid 30 lb mark. In this category, sub 30 lbs is a good weight. AM rigs tend to run low to upper 30 lbs. Freeride, Downhill and other aggressive bikes can go into the 40+ lb range. A vague answer to a vague question, but hopefully this will put things in perspective.

Bob

·
enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
Mine is hovering around 30lbs on a good day... probably more like 31 with the heavy UST tires.

For reference my fs is a Large Ventana Pantera with superlink, X9 drivetrain, Deus cranks, Hadley/819 wheels and Thomson bits with kenda UST tires and Stans. I imagine I could take off a pound and a half by taking off the superlink and switching out to some lighter tires with lite tubes.

I don't think 30lbs is too shabby for a fs. How much travel does yours have? If you're looking to race it a lot you may want to lighten it a bit, or you could just lighten yourself some too. (not that I even know what you look like)

·
President Skroob
499 Posts
I have a 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR and out of the box it came in at 26.5 lbs but after swapping out for all XTR except XT V brakes and an XT crank and a set of Dave's wheels it's around 25 lbs give or take (probably more like 24 lbs).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ASTA X7 16" frame I'm a little guy!

The advertised weight is 30lbs! With three different frame sizes is that an average weight or the weight of the larger frame?

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,796 Posts
thats a really nice bike... especially if you're a little guy... you could huck that thing for dj, dh and some freeride... Check out this thread... The bike can definitely be built lighter... but then you wouldnt be able to take it out for AM riding anymore...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=250326

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
My XC race bike (NRS composite) is just under 24lbs. My trail bike/all mountain bike was 35lbs just before I pulled it apart.

The other dually in my garage (although not exactly mine) is a tomac 98 special and that weighs 28lbs.

·
Slow Goat....
283 Posts
Jamis Dakar Sport 2003

With solid components my ride weighs in at 28.3 lbs. I hope to have it down to even 28 lbs by cutting off the excess seat post. I would like to bring it down to 27, but I don't think this is possible unless I buy a new frame.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Ellsworth Id with alot of weight saving stuff still weighs in at around 27. My wifes salsa caballero on the other hand without a bunch of effort put into the parts is a cool 24. Manitou minute on front, mavic crosslands, with a heavy girly seat (like the kind that feels like your sitting on someone elses butt) with no carbon fiber or the like...I dont know how I pulled that build off...that is a stinkin light frame though. It might just be that.

Beat

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
shiggy said:
Mine is 42-47 pounds depending on the tires and wheels I am running. Not a low-end bike.
what the heck have you done with the Stinky?!

my new tires (sitting in my office as I type this) will bring mine up to 38 lbs exactly but that is XC compared to yours

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
FoShizzle said:
what the heck have you done with the Stinky?!

my new tires (sitting in my office as I type this) will bring mine up to 38 lbs exactly but that is XC compared to yours
Coiler DL.

The stem, bars, crankset, pedals and brakes are all heavier than the stock parts.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.