Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
chasing simplicity
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like doing my own wrenching, and finally got tired of throwing a mish mash of tools in a box for events only to discover I didn't have what I really needed when I got there. Inspired by PinkBike articles on pro mechanics' event kits, I decided to get organized.

Didn't want to buy a whole toolkit, as I have most everything I need...just needed the right case. Hardware store stuff didn't work, and didn't want to plop down 100's. And I wanted something more mobile and unbulky, that I could pack in my travel bag, so went with a Feedback case, $50 (still kind of expensive, but it's really nice...zipper up, handles like a brief case, and hangs on your bike stand for easy access...that's what those red sticks in the middle are).

Taking a cue from their full big-$ kit, here's how I organized my stuff:

Full list:

• Tire pressure gauge
• Chainbreaker
• Adjustable torque driver
• Rotor truing tool
• Cable cutters
• BB/Lockring tool
• Foldup hex wrench tool
• Foldup torx wrench tool
• Tire levers
• Scissors
• Picks (2)
• Small flat blade screwdriver
• 8mm L-handle
• Shock pump
• Chain pliers
• Needle nose pliers
• Flush cut pliers
• Spoke wrench
• Valve core remover

I took off two folding bottom attachments, cuz I don't need them. I did buy a couple Feedback tools, like the rotor truer and the bb/lockring tool.

So what's your travel toolkit look like?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Nice!

Your toolkit looks a hell of a lot nicer than mine. I just have a small toolbox with all the bike tools that I commonly use tossed inside. I pretty much just put that into the trunk of the car. Besides that...I'll make sure I bring my shock pump and chain lube. As for a tire pump...I use the handheld electric pump I use for the car. That's about it for a road trip.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Most power tool mfgrs make an inflator so if you already have battery operated power tools (drill, impact driver, etc..) they probably make one that takes the same batteries.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,601 Posts
lol. I still just use a misc toolbox and toss the tools I think I'll want to have into it. I put most of those things into it, but I don't have a specific list.

I've considered buying duplicates of a bunch of my tools so that they can all live in that box all the time, and the box can live in my camper full-time just to save on packing time/effort. Just grab & go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.