Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Pwning Trails
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you ride with padded shorts? Two pair of padded shorts? Do you wear underwear underneath your shorts? Use monkey butt powder? Some other magic stuff?

I've been trying to find an optimum setup to avoid soar arse, and chafing. Be interesting to find out what others are doing, thanks!

·
Monocog Masher
161 Posts
One pair of good shorts (don't skimp), and DON'T wear underwear underneath. If you are new to biking or took a long break and just started riding again, your butt will be sore. It often can take 2 - 4 weeks of consistent riding to toughen up the tissues and muscles, but after that you should not have any soreness issues.

If you are having a problem with chafing, first you should make sure your saddle is the right width for your "sit" bones. Go to a bike shop that sells Specialized and ask to have your sit bones measured (Specialized has a little foam board that you can sit on and it will measure the width of your sit bones). Once you know your measurements you can buy the appropriately sized saddle. If you are using a saddle that is too wide, you definitely will have chafing issues. If your saddle is the right width, but you still have chafing try this....

·
Registered
766 Posts
Perl Izumi Attack Bib Shorts (yes the lycra ones) seem to keep my magic working. If you are chafing then I would say your bike fit is off (wrong saddle, wrong height, wrong shorts). I have some shorts that feel like they they have hack saws built into the chamois stitching (those only get worn when I'm too lazy to wash my other shorts). I was a diehard chamois butter user till I figured out the magic combination of shorts-saddle-bike fit, it will only mask the real problem.

·
Slow but unsteady
53 Posts
Hiking pants over UA trunks

I wear 5.11 tac pants (nyco) and UnderArmour "boxerjocks" (stretchy boxers). I've tried mtb shorts, but for the life of me I don't get the chamois. I'm supposed to want a big ol' sponge in my undercarriage to collect and hold my sweat? :eekster:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Mule Ears said:
I wear 5.11 tac pants (nyco) and UnderArmour "boxerjocks" (stretchy boxers). I've tried mtb shorts, but for the life of me I don't get the chamois. I'm supposed to want a big ol' sponge in my undercarriage to collect and hold my sweat? :eekster:
A good chamois wicks the moisture away from your junk.

·
Got a suspension fork
2,458 Posts
phlite said:
Do you ride with padded shorts? Two pair of padded shorts? Do you wear underwear underneath your shorts? Use monkey butt powder? Some other magic stuff?

I've been trying to find an optimum setup to avoid soar arse, and chafing. Be interesting to find out what others are doing, thanks!
Lycra shorts with built in chamois, commando obviously.

That's it for up to a couple hours, for longer rides, I use this liberally:

·
Slow but unsteady
53 Posts
To each his own

A good chamois wicks the moisture away from your junk.
And it performs that function adequately, but wearing wicking synthetic clothes is almost as good without an awkward lump in an uncomfortable spot. To each his own, I guess. I'm sure I'd be more of a fan if I didn't do most of my riding in single-digit humidity. If I ever move back to south Florida, I'll skip the chamois and install a bilge pump :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Mule Ears said:
And it performs that function adequately, but wearing wicking synthetic clothes is almost as good without an awkward lump in an uncomfortable spot. To each his own, I guess. I'm sure I'd be more of a fan if I didn't do most of my riding in single-digit humidity. If I ever move back to south Florida, I'll skip the chamois and install a bilge pump :thumbsup:
It is only awkward and uncomfortable off the bike. On-bike, if you are on the saddle for any length of time, it is a god-send. I suppose the millions of us avid mountain and road riders are all delusional about the the effectiveness of a chamois ... even those of us in desert and high desert climates.

·
Slow but unsteady
53 Posts
Different strokes

It is only awkward and uncomfortable off the bike. On-bike, if you are on the saddle for any length of time, it is a god-send. I suppose the millions of us avid mountain and road riders are all delusional about the the effectiveness of a chamois ... even those of us in desert and high desert climates.
Obviously there's a variety of way to interface your butt to the seat, depending on a whole range of factors, including personal preference. I don't suffer any ill effects from my setup (no monkey butt, chafing, numbness, etc.), so I don't have any reason to switch to more specialized duds. Not casting aspersions. Not alone either, judging from the couple of blunt votes for Carhartts and cargo shorts.

·
Old-newbie
382 Posts
I really like the Zoic assault liner. I can wear it under baggy shorts, or under jeans when the weather is cool. I like a denim outer layer for extra abrasion protection when my bike and I go different directions.

http://zoic.com/assaultliner

gerG

·
Pwning Trails
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Merost: great info on the "sit bones" measurement. I have a feeling mine is just about right, but not a bad idea to get it checked out. I'll look into the chamois buttr.

Randy's: another great balm to look into!

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
phlite said:
Merost: great info on the "sit bones" measurement. I have a feeling mine is just about right, but not a bad idea to get it checked out. I'll look into the chamois buttr.

Randy's: another great balm to look into!
Also, you might want to try a saddle that angles up in the back instead of a flat profile saddle. The SDG Bel-Air or WTB RocketV saddles both have profiles that angle up in the back and allow for one to sit back on your sit bones instead of on your junk. I gave up on the diaper years ago and prefer just a lined DF/FR short, even for long XC days.

·
Slow but unsteady
53 Posts
5.11 Tactical Pants, Nylon Canvas

Leethal said:
what are nyco tac pants?
Shorthand for "nylon canvas tactical pants." The manufacturer, 5.11, has discontinued the long version that I like, but they still make shorts in the same design.

I started wearing the long versions for bushwhack hiking and rock-climbing because they're insanely tough. You can wade through catclaw and cactus without a scratch. I continue to wear 'em for biking for the same reasons that some wear jeans or Carhartts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.