Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Ricky DH
2,249 Posts
Stretch, lightly hydrate, visualize the course, tell the guy behind me to avoid my head when he uses me for a speed bump (a good laugh helps to get rid of the butterflies). Oh and 1/2 hour before the race, 800 milligrams of Ibuprofen with a clif bar.

·
When in doubt, go faster
2,122 Posts
Well I havent raced before so maybe this doesnt apply but before a ride with other DHers I usualy streach a little, have a finky wawee (drink of water) and then some redbull, a energy bar and then just visualize the trail and the lines I am going to take. Then for about a minute i just relax.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Lately I noticed that if I do about five to ten minutes of good hard pedaling... enough to really feel the burn... and than rest another five to ten minutes before the race run, I tend to do a litte better.

At the last race, I pinch flated my rear tire trying to get some last minute practice in. Donny was on his way up to start counting down riders and I had a flat tire.

Anyways I ended up riding down the road to my car, changing the tire and than sprinting back up the paved road to do my race run. I got to the starting line with about 5 minutes to spare, rested up, drank some water, pissed, and than raced.

I wound up in second place, one second behind Houseman, and 2 seconds in front of Carter. Not bad. I'm going to warm up like that from now on.

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
2,664 Posts
Alloy said:
Lately I noticed that if I do about five to ten minutes of good hard pedaling... enough to really feel the burn... and than rest another five to ten minutes before the race run, I tend to do a litte better.

At the last race, I pinch flated my rear tire trying to get some last minute practice in. Donny was on his way up to start counting down riders and I had a flat tire.

Anyways I ended up riding down the road to my car, changing the tire and than sprinting back up the paved road to do my race run. I got to the starting line with about 5 minutes to spare, rested up, drank some water, pissed, and than raced.

I wound up in second place, one second behind Houseman, and 2 seconds in front of Carter. Not bad. I'm going to warm up like that from now on.
You're an animal dude...

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
Stretch...chat with other bikers in line to take away my nervousness.

Then stare off into space and get bored...then nervous....then bored....then nervous...then bored...etc.

Ugh, those 15 minutes are not fun.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Sacrafice three chickens, convert 2 virgins, Spin around 3 times clock-wise, spin around counter clock-wise 2 times, and give myself a Habernero sauce enama, and crank a nasty-one so rank that it burns the eyes of every one else, on the starting hill!!

Works like a charm. No one else starting behind me has been able to beat my time, while using this method.

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
Alloy said:
yah, it's always a good idea to do something like that to get the body warmed up...that's when your body is most efficient and is pumping blood and oxygen. typical DH races are too short for your body to warm up, so i always sprint around before hand to elevate my heartrate. it takes about 15 minutes for your body to fully warm up and shift into anarobic mode. if you don't warm up, your body is struggling to catch up to the intense workout. that's why you see guys on trainers, spinning.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
sriracha said:
yah, it's always a good idea to do something like that to get the body warmed up...that's when your body is most efficient and is pumping blood and oxygen. typical DH races are too short for your body to warm up, so i always sprint around before hand to elevate my heartrate. it takes about 15 minutes for your body to fully warm up and shift into anarobic mode. if you don't warm up, your body is struggling to catch up to the intense workout. that's why you see guys on trainers, spinning.
Or you could just push your bike up the hill, instead of shuttling. No shuttles are allowed at the CCCX series in NORCAL. 30-45 minute hike up. By the time you reach the top, your THOUGHLY warmed up.:ihih:

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
Tim F. said:
Or you could just push your bike up the hill, instead of shuttling. No shuttles are allowed at the CCCX series in NORCAL. 30-45 minute hike up. By the time you reach the top, your THOUGHLY warmed up.:ihih:
yah, that's what i do at fontucky. once i hit the road, i just push back up, instead of coasting down and waiting in line for the shuttle. last time i raced fontucky, i got 6 practice runs in, the day of the race...but then i had no legs at the pedalling section at the bottom. i don't know when to say when, i just race to ride different trails and try to get as much riding in as i can.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.