Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
46,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Awhile back I dropped my bike off at my local bike shop for a tune up. I returned the next day to find a dent the size of a quarter on my down tube. It was a high end frame that had just gone out of production. I raised he11 with the shop manager and he questioned the mechanic that worked on it. And all other shop employees and nobody fessed up to it. They argued that it could have been there before I dropped it off. I went off on them honestly knowing that the frame was flawless upon me dropping it off. In the back of my head I knew they weren't going to go for another replacement frame of $2000. So they asked me what I would like them to do. I replied that I know this isn't fixable. They argued that it won't hurt the integrity of the frame. In my head I agreed that it wasn't big enough to cause a problem. I asked them to compensate for my loss. So they said is there any part that you would like to replace on your bike? I replied, Yes, I would like a new XTR Crank Set. They said OK and pulled one out and installed it right there on the spot. I figured a $350 - $400 Crank Set should cover my loss and thanked them for being honorable and that I will continue doing business with them.

What's your opinion?
#1] Bad shop for not fessing up to what they had done.
Or
#2] Good shop for compensating me for my loss

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,988 Posts
By offering and following through as they did, they made it right -- didn't matter about 'fessing up. Good shop. They'd have my business for LIFE. (Unless, of course, the shop was bought out and turned upside down. How are they now to deal with?)

·
46,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
bigpedaler said:
By offering and following through as they did, they made it right -- didn't matter about 'fessing up. Good shop. They'd have my business for LIFE. (Unless, of course, the shop was bought out and turned upside down. How are they now to deal with?)
Well that's funny you said that because they were bought out and turned upside down a year later. I am just curious as to what the majority of people think of a shop that did this.

·
Killer b.
1,523 Posts
Good shop.

Ok.
You've asked for opinions on this.
I think good shop for sorting you out with some product. No-body fessing up isn't about the shop so much as the individuals working there. Quite possibly some young guy who knows that if he does he's going to be paying for the damage out of his pay cheque for months to come.

The manager could have been in a no-win situation with you if you had wanted to be a real [email protected]$$ about it. But he did right by you and things worked out ok.

·
Registered
118 Posts
the fact they offered you something is the shop fessing up. while no individual stepped forward that doesnt matter as a customer. the shop stop behind what happened and attempted to make things right.

as for finding out who did it and how it happened, thats up to the shop manager to deal with.

·
46,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
BFinlay said:
the fact they offered you something is the shop fessing up. while no individual stepped forward that doesnt matter as a customer. the shop stop behind what happened and attempted to make things right.

as for finding out who did it and how it happened, thats up to the shop manager to deal with.
Yeah except for the fact that the shop manager made me feel like I was scamming them. He questioned me saying "how do we know you didn't bring it in that way"? That is when I lost my cool and basically demanded they compensate for my loss. And that I am not a liar. That is when he changed his demeanor and offered up "what would you like us to do about it"? Anyway after leaving the shop with a new frame having a new sizable dent in it and a new XTR Crank Set. I felt like the manager thought I had just scammed them. Sure I left on good terms but I had a guilt trip by the way he questioned me. All the while knowing in my head I was right. And one of his employees bold faced lied to us by not fessing up. An accident is an accident the owner of the shop would not make the employee pay for the damage. But rather he would look at him in a better way for being honest

·
46,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BFinlay said:

I disagree; the fact that there was an employee that lied tells me as a customer the kind of people the shop has working for them. After this happening I never felt comfortable leaving my ride there again. So I didn't. They lost a customer because of one employee's dishonesty, even though the manager attempted to make it right.

·
Hardtail Warrior
509 Posts
I think its both. It was bad because they damaged your bike. They may have denied it because they didn't do it on purpose or didn't even know that they did it. The manager could have been a little quicker at trying to keep you as a customer and he may have. However he lost a customer but he also does have to be careful that he isn't scammed. How many people do you think may have tried something like that? Interesting situation you got stuck in. I wouldn't take my bike back there either. They should inspect the bike before they take it in. Write notes of damages, etc. Just like what car rentals shops do before they let you drive off with their car.

·
88mike
73 Posts
If you are happy, they did the right thing, what we think is besides the point.

I don't blame the manager for being skeptical, there are too many people in the world trying to get something for nothing. If you are certain the damage was done there stick to your guns and get it worked out.

Would you go back? Then they definitely did the right thing. If not, oh well.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Whatever...

DIRTJUNKIE said:
Yeah except for the fact that the shop manager made me feel like I was scamming them. He questioned me saying "how do we know you didn't bring it in that way"? That is when I lost my cool and basically demanded they compensate for my loss. And that I am not a liar. That is when he changed his demeanor and offered up "what would you like us to do about it"? Anyway after leaving the shop with a new frame having a new sizable dent in it and a new XTR Crank Set. I felt like the manager thought I had just scammed them. Sure I left on good terms but I had a guilt trip by the way he questioned me. All the while knowing in my head I was right. And one of his employees bold faced lied to us by not fessing up. An accident is an accident the owner of the shop would not make the employee pay for the damage. But rather he would look at him in a better way for being honest
Do you really think you'rethe first person to suggest that the shop screwed up their bike? Do you really think that some guy with a Huffy that's been stored outside didn't bring it in for a tune up and suggest that the chain, frame, DR, etc, were perfect before he took it in to the shop?

It's a fair question for the shop to ask.

Regarding a bike shop employee lying: Do you really want to pay the new and improved bike shop rate for the company going through the screening process to weed out those people that may not have the same moral fiber as you? Were the people the shop manager questioned kids or adults? I know when I was a kid, I would lie through my teeth if I screwed up and was going to get in trouble (fired, have to pay back a set of XRT cranks, etc).

It sucks that your bike got dented. I have dents all over my bikes. It's cool that the shop stepped up gave you a high end crankset for the dent. All I've ever received for my dents are scrapes, bruises and cuts.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Wait a minute...

DIRTJUNKIE said:
Well that's funny you said that because they were bought out and turned upside down a year later. I am just curious as to what the majority of people think of a shop that did this.
So this is an opinion poll of something that happened over a year ago? In that case, my opinion changes:

Get over it.

·
46,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hogleg62 said:
If you are happy, they did the right thing, what we think is besides the point.

I don't blame the manager for being skeptical, there are too many people in the world trying to get something for nothing. If you are certain the damage was done there stick to your guns and get it worked out.

Would you go back? Then they definitely did the right thing. If not, oh well.
This was worked out years ago. I was just trying to get some other opinions on how others would view this bike shop. I was a loyal customer to them, and the fact that the manager questioned my honesty made me feel uncomfortable. Previously before this had happened I was loyal to them for about three years. I had purchased many high end parts there and had my bike worked on by them on several times. The manager knew me as I frequently came in. If I was a stranger off the street and the manager had never seen me in there, then maybe I can understand him questioning my honesty. I can kind of understand a young and nervous kid damaging the bike and not fessing up for fear of losing his position. But the majorities of the personnel were in their late twenties to early thirties and in my opinion should have known better. An accident is an accident just fess up to what you did and the manager will think better of you for being honest. The shop lost a good customer due to an employee's dishonesty which in turn made the manager question the customer's honesty. Once a customer's integrity is questioned how comfortable is it for him to return?

·
1946:2006:2066
1,458 Posts
Why are you posting this now?

It happened at least a year ago. Maybe longer, you didn't say when it happened.
Just that the shop closed a year later. Yes, it is/was an ugly incident. But, you mean to
tell us you're not over it...wow

·
46,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FireDog46 said:
It happened at least a year ago. Maybe longer, you didn't say when it happened.
Just that the shop closed a year later. Yes, it is/was an ugly incident. But, you mean to
tell us you're not over it...wow

Get over it.

Believe me I am over it so to speak. It happened several years ago. I was just posting an experience I had with a bike shop in hopes of getting some other opinions on it. Maybe some shop employees as long as some managers and owners will learn a lesson from this less than satisfied customer experience.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
DIRTJUNKIE said:

Get over it.

Believe me I am over it so to speak. It happened several years ago. I was just posting an experience I had with a bike shop in hopes of getting some other opinions on it. Maybe some shop employees as long as some managers and owners will learn a lesson from this less than satisfied customer experience.
So you received an XTR crankset and you're less than satisfied? And you're on the Internets over a year after the event either asking for opinions (first post) or trying to provide your situation as a lesson for bike shop personnel (this post)?

Seriously:

When you went back and provided more details (long time customer, manager knows your well, you do a lot of business with them, etc.), you're still only providing one side of the story.

I'm not saying this is the case with you, but I know there are people that go to my LBS that think they're loyal customers. I also know the owner and a few of the managers well. And they have a much different opinion of that loyal customer than the customer does. They think the person is cheap, beats them up on prices constantly, complains about not getting good enough service, will come in and brag about finding better prices online or from another shop, and talks bad about the shop to other people. The shop doesn't consider them a good or loyal customer.

Again, not suggesting that this is you but there are always two sides to every situation.

Given the (additional) information I have, I would be pissed off for the owner/manager of my shop questioning my integrity. I wouldn't have demanded an XTR crankset payoff and I wouldn't have ever spent another dime there.

·
46,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ken in KC said:
DIRTJUNKIE said:

Given the (additional) information I have, I would be pissed off for the owner/manager of my shop questioning my integrity. I wouldn't have demanded an XTR crankset payoff and I wouldn't have ever spent another dime there.

Who said anything about "demanding" a new XTR crank set"? They asked me what I would like them to do about it? I responded I would like to be compensated for my loss. They then asked is there a new part for your bike you would like? I responded yes I would like a new XTR crank set. They said OK and installed one. If I was being a jerk about it I would have 'demanded" a new $2000 frame replacement. Due to that frame only being two months old. That would have been just compensation. But in my head I knew they wouldn't go for it, so being on the spot I just blurted out "a new XTR crank set" should be fine. I am OK with the outcome due to my own negligence of not "demanding" a new frame replacement. Hopefully shop owners, managers and their employees can learn something from my negative experience. Being honest and upfront about damage you caused. And for the manager or owner to be careful how you confront a customer in a situation like this. And also I was curious to how others would have treated the situation had they been put in it. And if they would continue doing business with them after the guilt trip the manager put you through? BTW I lived on the same road a half a mile down from them. So as you can imagine I was a weekly customer.

·
♥ ς╥33£
488 Posts
Personally that was a pisspoor job of them to wreck your frame, I have zero tolerance of incompetence. I still think they did good by compensating you. If its the only shop in town stick with em, if you have more they still might be your best bet since they atcually admitted their mistake, not all places do this. Could be good.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Sorry....

DIRTJUNKIE said:
Ken in KC said:
Who said anything about "demanding" a new XTR crank set"? They asked me what I would like them to do about it? I responded I would like to be compensated for my loss. They then asked is there a new part for your bike you would like? I responded yes I would like a new XTR crank set. They said OK and installed one. If I was being a jerk about it I would have 'demanded" a new $2000 frame replacement. Due to that frame only being two months old. That would have been just compensation. But in my head I knew they wouldn't go for it, so being on the spot I just blurted out "a new XTR crank set" should be fine. I am OK with the outcome due to my own negligence of not "demanding" a new frame replacement. Hopefully shop owners, managers and their employees can learn something from my negative experience. Being honest and upfront about damage you caused. And for the manager or owner to be careful how you confront a customer in a situation like this. And also I was curious to how others would have treated the situation had they been put in it. And if they would continue doing business with them after the guilt trip the manager put you through? BTW I lived on the same road a half a mile down from them. So as you can imagine I was a weekly customer.
Again, since you only gave a little information previous to this, we don't have all the information. I don't think I would have asked for any part other than my frame, *if* I was 100% positive that they dented my frame. If they couldn't/wouldn't deliver, I wouldn't have spent another dime in there. I assume you purchased the frame from them, so they knew the value?

Let's simplify things, since you seem to be looking for an answer that's different than the ones I've been giving: What opinion would you like me to type? I'll do so and you can be happy.

Stand by for a couple posts from me asking for opinions on issues that were resolved several years ago. I had a problem with a fork OEM about 4 years ago. I would love to hear your opinion on whether or not they treated me right fairly. I'll only give you a bare bones overview of the situation and only provide additional details when you start asking questions and offering opinions that I don't agree with, mkay?

·
46,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ken in KC said:
DIRTJUNKIE said:
Again, since you only gave a little information previous to this, we don't have all the information. I don't think I would have asked for any part other than my frame, *if* I was 100% positive that they dented my frame. If they couldn't/wouldn't deliver, I wouldn't have spent another dime in there. I assume you purchased the frame from them, so they knew the value?

Let's simplify things, since you seem to be looking for an answer that's different than the ones I've been giving: What opinion would you like me to type? I'll do so and you can be happy.

Stand by for a couple posts from me asking for opinions on issues that were resolved several years ago. I had a problem with a fork OEM about 4 years ago. I would love to hear your opinion on whether or not they treated me right fairly. I'll only give you a bare bones overview of the situation and only provide additional details when you start asking questions and offering opinions that I don't agree with, mkay?
Thank you wall for your opinion.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.