Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gonna do the night riding gig. Not sure what is adequate for lower foothills riding of under 2 hours.

I have a flashing red beacon I'll put on my seatpost or hydration pack.
I have a small bar mounted Cateye Opti-Cube; it's nothing more than a bright white flashlight.

Then I have the Jet Lites 12w Phantom i single beam helmet mount light and a 13v battery pack. I also have a 20w bulb. Looking at the destructions I have enough light on any power mode with either bulb for rides 2 hour rides in either power save or full blast power.

FYI, with this model the 12w bulb is a spot light, and the 20w is a flood. Should I not monkey around with the 12w and stick in the 20 now?

Big question: Do I really need a more powerful bar mount light to complement the helmet light?
Thanks. I'm gonna hit the trail (hopefully not literally) tonight for my maiden voyage.

·
just a man
1,865 Posts
perpetuating the totally ghetto, non-bling legacy

I don't know how to answer your questions, but wanted to share with you the very limited edition (2 made, CBro has the other setup) "B4X Ghetto DIY" bar mount and helmet light rigs. These look absolutely ridiculous, but the price and performance (including runtime) would surprise you. CBro calls them the "landing lights." I can explain how I made these if you're interested (which is doubtful!) How did your ride go?

Let's get some night riding in!

Attachments

·
King of the Barneys
1,121 Posts
I already had a $100 Vista set up, and these ghetto lights are 3 to 5 times brighter and better. Pretty blown away. Used em 3x at night now, and need to add the helmet mounted light for dyno-mite combo.

CDB

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bombin4X said:
I don't know how to answer your questions, but wanted to share with you the very limited edition (2 made, CBro has the other setup) "B4X Ghetto DIY" bar mount and helmet light rigs. These look absolutely ridiculous, but the price and performance (including runtime) would surprise you. CBro calls them the "landing lights." I can explain how I made these if you're interested (which is doubtful!) How did your ride go?

Landing Lights??? Awesome.

What is run time?
I do not have a downtube bottle cage so will that be a problem for the chord? I have the cage on the underside of my downtube, and I carry a hydration pack. Does this matter? Edit: looks like you just secure the battery to the downtube sans hydration cage.

How do you go about the helmet light?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Bombin4X said:

And how much did that setup cost you?

·
just a man
1,865 Posts
bingo!

danK: That's the correct link! I do have a bottlecage actually, however you could run the wires into your hydration pack, you'd just make the wires longer. I made a few mods to that guy's plans. The high/low toggle is a must also. Runtime = how long the battery can power the lights. On low I can probably run 3+ hours. On high, about half that. I'm never out riding that long anyway so I don't need 8 hours of battery time and the Ni-Mh batteries can be recharged many many many times without losing their holding power. The helmet light was contructed with some sturdy velcro, a lamp switch, an MR-16 lamp (same as the one on the bar-mount setup) and a special light housing.

Taco: Trying to remember, I'd guess it cost me about ~$85-95 per bar mount set w/charger and then the helmet mount setup was like $15-25. All parts can be put together from shopping Home Depot, an online battery retailer (such as All-battery.com), and Radio Shack.

The helmet setup is pretty amusing - can you see what I used for a light housing? :thumbsup: A pretty color even.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
That purple thing looks like a sex toy I use on occassion.
:eek:

I have a pretty basic 10w handlebar and helmet combo from NiteRider. I definately don't light up the night sky, but I figure it works for slow speed SS'ing around Military Reserve at night.

I'd like to get something brighter, like an HID setup, but even prodealing those things, they are still spendy. Ehhh we'll see. Who knows...maybe instead of riding outside during the winter, I'll just stick to Spinning.....

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have run several different lights over the years. Right know I am using a Light and Motion ARC cabeza on my head and a ARC on my bars. It's completely more light than I need but it sure is fun, I think combined its about 80 or 90 watts of bright white light. Often I will let a friend use one and I run the other one on my handlebars. They each get about 3.5 hours burn. I love heading up to the eastside, sinker creek, stack rock area at night, being in the trees makes it so much fun. I was really looking forward to trying out Big Wood at night but it looks like that probably won't happen now.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jackstraw1 said:
I have run several different lights over the years. Right know I am using a Light and Motion ARC cabeza on my head and a ARC on my bars. It's completely more light than I need but it sure is fun, I think combined its about 80 or 90 watts of bright white light. Often I will let a friend use one and I run the other one on my handlebars. They each get about 3.5 hours burn. I love heading up to the eastside, sinker creek, stack rock area at night, being in the trees makes it so much fun. I was really looking forward to trying out Big Wood at night but it looks like that probably won't happen now.
Wow! My friend and I were talking about how wild it would be to ride those trails at night. I can barely handle them in perfect day light.
Some of my friends up north ride in the winter at night on North Shore trails. I can't even begin to fathom that. Oops, I just tried....and crashed in my chair.
Maybe I'll try Bogus trails in a month when I adapt to night riding.

G

·
Flippin' Sweet!!!

Bombin4X said:
No it's an air freshener can lid with the lamp siliconed in there! Like I said before, "ULTRA GHETTO!"
Even Rube Goldberg would be impressed.....I want one!!!

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread...

RRB and I should be getting these in a few days... Small enough (with Li-Ion batteries) to mount the whole thing on the helmet. Should be a nice supplement to the bar mounts (RRB has my old 32W NR Duals and I'm using the Lume HID's)...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
flipnidaho said:
RRB and I should be getting these in a few days... Small enough (with Li-Ion batteries) to mount the whole thing on the helmet. Should be a nice supplement to the bar mounts (RRB has my old 32W NR Duals and I'm using the Lume HID's)...
How much, and where from? I'm tired of schlepping my big battery around. Thing weighs 7 pounds, at least (slight exaggeration).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.