Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine without a doubt is Anywhere Bike Repair (ABR). I have nothing but props for the team there. The turn around time, knowledge and repairs, accessibility and communication is top notch. I feel like I found a gem. So, what repair shop (the overall shop) would you recommend in San Diego county? Also, I wrote a short review on my site if you want to know a little more about them, with a few pics. Great dudes there, in my opinion!

mtbnomad-MTB Trail Videos for the southwest US

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,428 Posts
I used to frequent Bicycle Warehouse when they still had a store in Vista, but that shop closed. If there is something i just cannot do myself I use Perfomance in Vista.

·
IPA tester
1,297 Posts
My garage and have never had to use a LBS. With some average knowledge, decent tools set, and the interwebs you should be able to repair just about anything..
I find putting the bike on the stand and doing my own repairs relaxing, especially when hydrating properly.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My garage and have never had to use a LBS. With some average knowledge, decent tools set, and the interwebs you should be able to repair just about anything..
I find putting the bike on the stand and doing my own repairs relaxing, especially when hydrating properly.
Awesome! Possibly that's been part of my issue...improper hydration. I seem to mess up about 75% of my own repairs! haha

·
Registered
43 Posts
Black Mountain Bikes, hands down.

Mine without a doubt is Anywhere Bike Repair (ABR). I have nothing but props for the team there. The turn around time, knowledge and repairs, accessibility and communication is top notch. I feel like I found a gem. So, what repair shop (the overall shop) would you recommend in San Diego county? Also, I wrote a short review on my site if you want to know a little more about them, with a few pics. Great dudes there, in my opinion!

·
Registered
3,826 Posts

Never heard of these guys until two days ago when I was searching for "mobile bike mechanics" in San Diego. I live in North county so they definitely aren't convenient but I may pay the surcharge (having them pick up and deliver my bike) and give them a try. I used to go to Bike Bling because I had an "in" with one of the mechanics but he left and now I don't know anybody.

I've personally never been there but the guys at North of the Border bikes in Sorrento Valley absolutely have the best reputation in SD County...based on many threads on this topic over the years. That and some guy named Ron at Rose Canyon Cycles has a stellar rep for wheel building.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Doug and Mike at North of the Border are by far the best. Best customer service, repair/service work, and wheel building. Great guys that treat their customers right.

·
Registered
44 Posts
North Of The Border. I picked up my new bike and christened it on the Arch ride, first 50 miles without a hitch. Great guys who know their stuff.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I do all my own work, but when I need parts Black Mountain has come through on many occasions, including plenty of hard to find oddball parts.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Big Ring Bike Shop in La Mesa. Joe is a master mechanic. His knowledge and expertise is a riders best friend.
Don't get me started on Big Ring. My last dealings with Joe involved a year of waiting and starting the ball rolling on taking him to court to get my deposit back. He likes taking money for bikes that he doesn't have or can't get....

I bought one bike from him that went perfectly and had no doubts about giving him my repeat business. After my last dealings with him, I will never do business with him again and advise anyone I can to do the same.

I am a very patient person, but he pushed me to my limits with his avoidance, crappy communication and very questionable business practices.

It took me over a year to get a $2000 deposit back.

·
Registered
200 Posts
North of the Border does great work but I've found Anywhere Bicycle Repair to be as good and the service and communication is better. They've gone out of their way on a couple of occasions to track down parts for me and I've only had to pay for the labor (a Fox Float X shock, and a Hope rear hub mech).

Turnaround time can be very fast too depending on what you need done. I live in North County and I've dropped the bike off, had a recableing and tune up done while I ran errands in San Diego, then picked it up a couple of hours later on the way home. Try that at any other shop in the county...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't get me started on Big Ring. My last dealings with Joe involved a year of waiting and starting the ball rolling on taking him to court to get my deposit back. He likes taking money for bikes that he doesn't have or can't get....

I bought one bike from him that went perfectly and had no doubts about giving him my repeat business. After my last dealings with him, I will never do business with him again and advise anyone I can to do the same.

I am a very patient person, but he pushed me to my limits with his avoidance, crappy communication and very questionable business practices.

It took me over a year to get a $2000 deposit back.
Damn!...thanks for the heads up!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts