Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where will the 29er goodness be hammering in 2006? What's your first race, which one are you most excited about?

I'm planning on SERC #3 at Bryson City (Tsali Trails), NC as my first event April 9th.
I'm definitely most excited about SERC #8 at Ducktown (Tanasi Trails), TN on July 16th. Hammering down the mountain on the Thunder Rock Expess is probably about as much fun as you can have without losing your drivers license.
 

·
giddy up!
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
Most likely it'll be the 12 hours of Temecula here in SoCal sometime in January. I actually have quite a few early events including the Firestone 70 mile, Vision Quest and hopefully the Kokopelli.

Which 2006 race am I most excited about? I would have to say I'm most excited about Leadville 100 and Brianhead 100. These are both events that I have already done so I figure I can go back and "enjoy the scenery", so to speak.

The event that I am most anxious/fearful of would have to be the Koko. It'll be a real challenge for me and it's unlike anything I've attempted in the past.

B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kokopelli -- wow -- 142 miles unsupported. Sounds like the kind of event where you get the opportunity to know your inner self. That's mountain biking! Leadville and Brian Head should be great too. That's a regular he-man racing calendar. Best of luck to you!
 

·
Squalor
Joined
·
1,573 Posts
MTB only?

I got a couple more cross races in January, then after that it will probably be the Ouachita Challenge in March.

Race I'm most excited (scared to death) about...SHENANDOAH!

Other than cross, I only do 3 or 4 races a year, so I gotta pick good ones :D

LP
 

·
paintbucket
Joined
·
2,825 Posts
lanpope said:
I got a couple more cross races in January, then after that it will probably be the Ouachita Challenge in March.

Race I'm most excited (scared to death) about...SHENANDOAH!

Other than cross, I only do 3 or 4 races a year, so I gotta pick good ones :D

LP
Ditto. Except for that cx stuff. That's too psycho for me.... :)
 

·
veinte nueve pulgadas
Joined
·
419 Posts
for me...

If all goes according to plan, the first will be in May @ the 12 hours of Lodi Farm. Single or Duo. Haven't decided yet. And then...

24 Hours of Big Bear. Really stoked about that one. It was lots of fun last year. It's rather expensive, but I can't pass on it for some reason. I've been doing canaan/snowshoe/big bear since 1996 (except for 2000....got wait-listed that year). I'm addicted.

Wilderness 101. Did it two years ago and got destroyed. Looking forward to a much better performace this year.

18 Hours on the Farm. Did this for the first time last year. It was my first SS race, and it was awesome. Should be a lot bigger turnout in 2006 without the SS worlds and NORBA nationals going on nearby.

Panorama Paranormal. 6 hour event. I missed it last year and I'm pissed off about it.

There may be others, but those are the highlights right now.
 

·
C-Hog
Joined
·
458 Posts
Just a little "Tickler"...

... A couple of us here in the KC area are working on a brand new, epic-length event that will definately be 29"er friendly. Inspired by the Trans-Iowa, we're looking at 200 miles through the Flint Hills region of east central Kansas. We are making final plans now, and hope to have details released to you all within the next couple of weeks. Keep Saturday, May 20th open on your calendars.

Now for my answer the the original question...

First Race: Ouachita Challenge, March 26th
Most Excited About: Chequamegon 40, Sept. 16th

I'll be doing others this year... but these are my two planned "peaks", and the ones I am most looking forward to. Hope to see lots of you there.

C-Hog
 

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
Joined
·
8,821 Posts
Madre will do the Vision Quest here in March, as will I, only slower, much slower.

We'll be at Sea Otter again most likely. Madre in the SS race in the semi-pro/pro division...and me in the sport clydesdale race most likely. Racing beg. clydesdale on the SS last year was super fun and much more competitive than the sandbag heaven in the regular SS division.

Madre has Leadville scoped out also and I might tag along for fun.

There may be a Cream Puff thrown in.

There could be a Shanandoa thrown in too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,598 Posts
My 24 Hour event teammates and I are looking for a new race do do in 2006 on the east coast - we do not want to do another 24 HOA race. It is hard to find other 24 Hour events that allow for all male 5 person teams. We may have to split up add a few more riders and create two co-ed teams for one of the races and IMO the more the merrier!

What are some of the better East Coast 24 Hour events??
 

·
Don't be a sheep
Joined
·
3,442 Posts
Padre said:
Madre will do the Vision Quest here in March, as will I, only slower, much slower.

We'll be at Sea Otter again most likely. Madre in the SS race in the semi-pro/pro division...and me in the sport clydesdale race most likely. Racing beg. clydesdale on the SS last year was super fun and much more competitive than the sandbag heaven in the regular SS division.

Madre has Leadville scoped out also and I might tag along for fun.

There may be a Cream Puff thrown in.

There could be a Shanandoa thrown in too.
Padre, you should put gears on your wifes bike and let her make a run at the top women at Sea Otter and Leadville. She's probably running out of challengers on the Single?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
First race will probably be the cable classic.
Most important race of the year will be Telemark NorAms, Cable, Wi in a little over a month. Oh, yeah, we're talking about biking not skiing. If I decide to taper at all for any mountain bike races next season, it will probably be the Chequamegon 40.

YO MAMA
 

·
Bunker Hill Bikes
Joined
·
308 Posts
Think Spring!

First race for me in 2006 is the Kokopelli Trail Race. The Michigan Mob will be traveling to the race.

Some other races I am looking forward to are:

1. Lumberjack 100 (Michigan)
2. Wilderness 101
3. Shenandoah 100
4. Boyne Challenge Marathon (Michigan)
5. Stoney Creek Marathon (Michigan)
6. Have not decided on 8. 12. and 24 hour races.

Think Spring,

Chad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,931 Posts
donkey said:
Most likely it'll be the 12 hours of Temecula here in SoCal sometime in January. I actually have quite a few early events including the Firestone 70 mile, Vision Quest and hopefully the Kokopelli.

Which 2006 race am I most excited about? I would have to say I'm most excited about Leadville 100 and Brianhead 100. These are both events that I have already done so I figure I can go back and "enjoy the scenery", so to speak.

The event that I am most anxious/fearful of would have to be the Koko. It'll be a real challenge for me and it's unlike anything I've attempted in the past.

B
That's quite a list. Can you compare times racing with 26" vs 29"?
 

·
giddy up!
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
pacman said:
That's quite a list. Can you compare times racing with 26" vs 29"?
Unfortunately....No.

I haven't ridden a 26" bike for several years with the exception of loaners while travelling. Also, when I was riding 26" bikes I was primarily interested in shorter Norba type events. Nowadays I try to stick with events over 5-6 hours.

Sooo...long story short....I'm the wrong guy for a comparison of this sort.

I will say that numerous riding partners commented on an improvement in my abilities when I made the switch.

B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
volpepazza said:
Where will the 29er goodness be hammering in 2006? What's your first race, which one are you most excited about?

1st Race - The Bike Texas Torture Test - 95 miles of yummy central tx single track at 2 differing mtn bike ranches and the gravel roads between them on January 8th. I'll definitely have a good caloric base..... Mmmm is that a new batch of cookies I smell?

If there were any local crazies going for the Trans Iowa, I'd say that this would be a great warm up event....

Even tho I'll be touring instead of racing at the Ouachita Challenge it's still a big event.... A friend of mine just purchased an Excalibur and the 1st thing he did was to sign up for the OC.

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,598 Posts
nzumbi said:
where are you based? are you into granny gear events or no? They just came out with a new one in GA at the olympic mtb grounds. Too far away for me. Big Bear is awesome.
well our Team is New England based - 2 guys from CT, One from MA, one from VT and another from the Albany, NY area.

Thing is that I think Granny Gear races don't allow for 5 man teams - I think you have to have at least one female for a five person team for those races.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top