Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use aftershox when running. They do sometimes drop my pixel connection for no obvious reason, but it's rare.

The open ear design is a nice idea, but IMO whether it makes me more aware of traffic noise etc. remains entirely dependent on how loud I crank them.

I don't wear them when riding unless I'm expecting a call. Regardless of which headphones I've tried, all I get on the bike is wind noise unless I have them deafeningly loud.... which is why I've never really understood EITHER SIDE of the bicycle headphone debate in the first place, but that's another can of worms.
I agree the open ear design becomes useless when you find yourself cranking them to drown out outside noises. Like someone else said, they are good for long boring climbs(MTB and especially gravel grinding).

I remember seeing flaps that velcro to helmet straps to block wind noises. They were aimed at road cyclists who deal with it much more but I imagine they would work for MTB.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
39,606 Posts
I love music but I’m not much of an earbud listener. Especially while out on a ride, I like the sounds of nature, the bike, the tires doing their thing against the terrain and my loud ass hubs. And I definitely don’t want to miss out on a nice greeting from a hiker or equestrian as I always speak first in a pleasant manner greeting them. Or the occasional “I’m sorry” from me as I come up on them too fast. And the “no worries and thank you” as I pass. Who wants to miss out on all that? I guess some of you do so I did my due diligence homework for you’s.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dirtjunkie - just to clarify, I never listen to music when out riding just to ride - mtb, cross, road. I too enjoy the sounds of nature and just riding along.

I listen to music when I commute, which is 5-6 days a week. As much as I love riding a bike, getting up and getting on the bike by Thursday or Friday becomes a bit monotonous, no matter how much you love acting like a kid:) I ride ~90% on the same MUP, so the scenery is the same. Only exciting thing is when I see a snake, a turkey, a deer...or get to navigate around newly smashed malt liquor bottles where dudes hang out 24/7 getting drunk and high.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,222 Posts
Not a whole lot of nature sounds climbing general Hitchcock highway ;)

That's a boring climb.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
May I suggest a bluetooth speaker? I use one when riding. I find it safer for a couple of reasons. First I can hear other people and second it serves as a warning to others that I am coming. It still sounds great and does its job. I know some people don't want to "disturb" others with their music when riding but I ride with others (single track) and they generally can't even hear it. I have a ruggedtec that I love. Great for other uses as well. Just a thought and another option.
I ordered a bunch of handlebar Bluetooth speakers to blow out at Black Friday ;
and a long time employee had a fit !
He thinks external speakers are awful and should be band from streets and trails
of course; I had to disagree and insist that I play only dire straights ; which makes everyone’s day better 😃

·
Registered
108 Posts
I ordered a bunch of handlebar Bluetooth speakers to blow out at Black Friday ;
and a long time employee had a fit !
He thinks external speakers are awful and should be band from streets and trails
of course; I had to disagree and insist that I play only dire straights ; which makes everyone’s day better
I ride in a wilderness area where one of the only rules specially prohibits speakers, instruments, and any other sources of unnecessary noise.

·
Registered
352 Posts

BOSE sport earbuds or GTFO

·
Registered
367 Posts
I use Jabra 75ts for work and play. They are dual paired to my phone and work laptop for calls. I quite like them. I have used them for running and they are not as snug as I would like but have never fallen out. I just need to push them in a bit from time to time. Can't seem to find the adapters that came with them to try the smaller size. They have a pass though mode that lets you hear outside sound, but for my use cases I leave that off.

I don't use headphones on the bike, but I did try to help someone find his airpod in the trailside brush after a crash a month or so ago. He could insist he could hear it playing, I could not. It was still in the brush when I called off my portion of the search.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use the Jabra Elite Active 75t. They are water and dust proof and have a slightly grippy rubber coating to help them stay in your ears. I have not had one fall out.

They are also fairly low profile so the dont interfere with your helmet. They have 3 sound modes, normal, pass through (which uses the microphone to combine exterior noise with the sound so you can talk to people or hear people riding up behind you), and ANC active noise cancelling. I mainly use them in the normal setting when I'm out in the bush on my own, and the pass through is tunable so I use that if there are people around so I can hear them approaching. If you just want to wear one ear bud it has to be the right ear one. In normal mode I get 6 or 7 hours before they need a charge. You can recharge them in their case at least 3 times from fully flat. Call quality is great.

Definitely should be on anyones short list.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I went with a small blue tooth speaker, still playing with where I prefer to have it mounted. Been great so far!

·
Registered
106 Posts
If that is directed at me, dysfunction, I'll clarify. I use this for commuting on a multi-use path. 90% of the people have earbuds or earphones on. I use a bell anyway to let people know I'm passing, so a bit of music isn't likely a big deal. I'm not blasting speed metal. This is also in the middle of a city, not exactly a silent country trail.

I would never use a speaker on an actual mtb bike trail in the woods.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've become rather fond of the Bose Tempo sun glasses. They have all the benefits of a blue tooth speaker with none of the drawbacks to for other trail users. Bass is a bit lacking, but you can't win them all.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts