Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Some of the anti-speaker crowd will run bells on their bike though, seems a little hypocritical to me
WTF? That makes no sense. I have a bell on my bike for the same reason that I don't play music while I ride: for the safety and comfort of other trail users. How and when do you think trail riders use bells?

·
Registered
384 Posts
WTF? That makes no sense. I have a bell on my bike for the same reason that I don't play music while I ride: for the safety and comfort of other trail users. How and when do you think trail riders use bells?
Thinking back to a year and a half ago when I typed the reply, it was meant a little tongue in cheek for the purists that needed to hear nature without man made interference.like music, bells, or angry hornet rear cogs.

Not meant as a serious shot at actually using a bell as a warning.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
628 Posts
it's only safer until someone here puts a frame pump through your front spokes.
Ha ha, Still laughing at your post. Yes, the first rule of outdoor fun is don’t disturb the other users. Speakers on trails is just wrong. Trust the many who I ridden with, nobody likes your music. As far as listening to anything on the move, it is fine as long as you can still hear your surroundings. Air Pods are great for that as the leak so much sound, I can carry on a conversation while they are in my ear playing. If you are riding with sealed phones, you are risking everyone’s safety and your own.
Listening to music allows me to ride farther, faster and have more fun. The three F’s. With your Pod and watch, you have access to a bottomless pit of music to help with the long grueling climbs or long lonely rides. I do use the readily available silicon hooks on my Pods so they just cannot not fall out, ever. If you have a wire going to your ear, you are doing wrong imho. Travel Safe!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd recommend Aftershokz Trekz. They are bone conduction design so the speaker rests just outside your ear allowing you to hear the music plus surrounding sounds. I got some for road bike rides on the greenway but occasionally wear mountain biking too. Great for runs too. Little annoys me more during a ride than rolling up behind someone who is oblivious I'm behind them waiting to pass... whether it's mountain bikers on tight single track or runners on the middle of the greenway. Aside from the safety concerns of being unaware of surroundings, I refuse to subject others to such annoyances. I used to ride with only one earphone in before I got the Trekz. I find getting behind someone with a speaker much more tolerable since they typically hear me and get out of the way faster.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
An older thread, but didn't want to start a new one. Looking for some bluetooth wireless earbuds to use when riding in situations where it's safe to have music on. In-ear buds seem like the best option, but I wonder if anyone can comment on them staying in well, or falling out? Seems like at this point, tons of options for models specifically designed for sports.

Over-the-ear buds seem more secure, but also seems like with some helmets, they might hit your straps or the internal webbing, as happens with some helmets/sunglass combinations, which is usually pretty annoying.

I'd use this mostly for commuting on a pretty low-volume multi-use path. I ride at a leisurely pace, look behind me when passing anyone, and don't go tearing around...just in case someone wanted to say it's unsafe. (What is unsafe is the number of roadies and e-bikers who now treat the trail as a training race course, which it isn't. Seems to have gotten worse during covid as more folks started riding more OR got a new bike. Lots more unsafe folks out there of late.)

Thanks!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like my Jabra 65t Active ear buds. I can adjust how much pass through volume there is in the Jabra app. If someone is coming up behind me I can hear them while still drowning out the creeks and rattles of my bike. Also good for walking or running so you can hear cars and be aware.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks, Andy! Okay, so no issues with the in-ear bud style falling out?

Seems like they've figured out how to keep them in, as the majority of walkers and joggers I pass have them in!

Gotta love that your admit your bike makes plenty of noises! You're a good man when you figure out a work-around to keep on riding in style:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I also use Aftershokz if I want to listen to some tunes or a pod during a ride. I wear them most of the day really. My AirPods hurt my ears when in longer than an hour or so.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wait, the Aeropex as in...the things that wrap around the back of your head? Doesn't this get in the way of your helmet straps and the rear dial and internal head clamp and cause problems? Seems like some helmet/Aeropex combinations just wouldn't work well together.

Those seem like they'd cause some interference/interface problems with helmets & sunglasses too, something I'm trying to get away from with my wired earbuds and ipod.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Also, I ride on a MUP daily, with earbuds, and haven't had any issues in years with my hearing being compromised. I keep the volume low and I am very aware of everyone around me, checking behind frequently, always looking when overtaking someone, etc.

I won't be doing actual mtb riding with these on trails, just commuting on a rails-to-trail.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I use aftershox when running. They do sometimes drop my pixel connection for no obvious reason, but it's rare.

The open ear design is a nice idea, but IMO whether it makes me more aware of traffic noise etc. remains entirely dependent on how loud I crank them.

I don't wear them when riding unless I'm expecting a call. Regardless of which headphones I've tried, all I get on the bike is wind noise unless I have them deafeningly loud.... which is why I've never really understood EITHER SIDE of the bicycle headphone debate in the first place, but that's another can of worms.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,222 Posts
The wraps are really low, and the band's are thin enough I've never had a helmet or glasses issue. Since I like to listen to something on things like long climbs.... I don't care much about wind noise.

My hair causes more issues with helmets, especially if I've tied it back.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thanks for that info, dysfunction!

I've been quite happy using wired earbuds (nothing special, bland brand for $20) with an ipod to listen to music during my bike commute to my office. But, I finally found the time/patience to put music on my iphone (couldn't get it to sync/load music from itunes...this is all music I own, purchased CDs that I also put on my computer) and now I realize I can just carry my phone, not my phone and ipod. They're redundant, same thing on each one.

So, I'm looking for some wireless earbuds/over ear buds of some sort so that I can put my phone in my frame bag, keep my earbuds in my shirt pocket, and just toss them in when I want.

I actually just put my phone in my t-shirt breast pocket this morning and listened on speaker...ha, have always thought they were kinda silly...but a small handlebar-mounted speaker might not be a bad idea:) The vast majority of walkers/joggers I pass on the trail have headphones on, so no big deal about a speaker. I'm also not playing speed metal or Illinois Nazis rally recordings;)

21 - 40 of 66 Posts