Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that ride with music what's your favorite wireless Bluetooth headphones? I don't always listen to music when I ride with but when I do I use some plantronics I bought from Costco that are wireless Bluetooth but after about 30 minutes they kill my ears. Looking for other wireless Bluetooth options. What ya got?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have used these and been happy with them. Mpow V4.1 Bluetooth Headphones Wireless Sport Headphones In-ear Sweatproof Running Earbuds with Mic https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HGNS59G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_OuPrzb106XCY2

I wish they had a cloth wrapped cord, but for the price I can make it work. I just dangle the cord like a chin strap in the front when riding. On trails I keep the right one in and tuck the left into the shoulder strap of my water pack.

They do a good job making phone calls and can control music through the buttons as well.

I don't know about the iPhone, but they work great with android. Had mine for about 2 years and have been trouble free.

Have been eyeing these, but can't justify new ones when the old ones are working so well. Mpow Bluetooth Headphones Wireless Sport Earbuds, Upgraded Wearing Comfort, In-Ear Earphones for Running https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WD8WHTN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_bBPrzbTW7YE4Z

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've owned a variety of BT headphones, and they've all been "okay" - but about a month ago I bought a pair of AirPods to try. They are by FAR the best wireless headphones I've ever used. I think you could use them with android but they're obviously an apple product.

Never any weirdness with pairing or connecting. They come in a case that's also a battery pack - you open the top and it pops up on your phone screen showing charge for the case and each earbud. Pull one out of the case, it turns on, stick it in your ear and it's active. There's a sensor on it to identify when it's in your ear, pull it out and it pauses what you're listening to. You can use one or both, it switches between stereo and mono seamlessly, if they're getting low on charge (say during a phone call) you can charge one while using the other, stick the charged one in your ear and swap.

The only thing I don't really care for is the form factor looks a little weird but the performance makes up for it. For riding I'd buy a strap to connect them to prevent loss. I've never had one fall out but just in case.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've owned a variety of BT headphones, and they've all been "okay" - but about a month ago I bought a pair of AirPods to try. They are by FAR the best wireless headphones I've ever used. I think you could use them with android but they're obviously an apple product.

Never any weirdness with pairing or connecting. They come in a case that's also a battery pack - you open the top and it pops up on your phone screen showing charge for the case and each earbud. Pull one out of the case, it turns on, stick it in your ear and it's active. There's a sensor on it to identify when it's in your ear, pull it out and it pauses what you're listening to. You can use one or both, it switches between stereo and mono seamlessly, if they're getting low on charge (say during a phone call) you can charge one while using the other, stick the charged one in your ear and swap.

The only thing I don't really care for is the form factor looks a little weird but the performance makes up for it. For riding I'd buy a strap to connect them to prevent loss. I've never had one fall out but just in case.

Can't wait to get my wife a new iPhone, so I can steal her headphones she never uses. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Can't wait to get my wife a new iPhone, so I can steal her headphones she never uses. :)

I have an iPhone without a headphone jack. When I got it I had some serious reservations, mostly based on my experiences with other Bluetooth headphones. I have two sets of the headphones that plug into the lightning jack, because I expected to use them most of the time. Since I got the AirPods I haven't used anything else. Only thing I'd change is the battery life, but I have the same complaint about pretty much every battery powered thing I own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
May I suggest a bluetooth speaker? I use one when riding. I find it safer for a couple of reasons. First I can hear other people and second it serves as a warning to others that I am coming. It still sounds great and does its job. I know some people don't want to "disturb" others with their music when riding but I ride with others (single track) and they generally can't even hear it. I have a ruggedtec that I love. Great for other uses as well. Just a thought and another option.

·
Registered
384 Posts
May I suggest a bluetooth speaker? I use one when riding. I find it safer for a couple of reasons. First I can hear other people and second it serves as a warning to others that I am coming. It still sounds great and does its job. I know some people don't want to "disturb" others with their music when riding but I ride with others (single track) and they generally can't even hear it. I have a ruggedtec that I love. Great for other uses as well. Just a thought and another option.
This post may burst into flames from the hatred others may have for it. :) Some of the anti-speaker crowd will run bells on their bike though, seems a little hypocritical to me.

You make a good point though, if it isn't blaring, it can serve as a trail warning to others.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
+1 for anti-headphones. too many near-collisions with other riders, hikers, dog-walkers, horse riders, etc who have their heads in the clouds listening to music too loud to hear their surroundings. use a BT speaker on your bike at a respectful volume or just let nature provide the soundtrack. if you are riding one-way trails or stuff that is too remote or isolated for such conflicts of interest to be an issue, YMMV.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picked up a set of Beats X wireless headphones. They are practically perfect for cycling. I have zero complaints. I can wear these all day without issue. I haven't been able to do that with any other wireless headphones. These just work great for me. They cost $150 but worth every penny in my book.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I have an iPhone without a headphone jack. When I got it I had some serious reservations, mostly based on my experiences with other Bluetooth headphones. I have two sets of the headphones that plug into the lightning jack, because I expected to use them most of the time. Since I got the AirPods I haven't used anything else. Only thing I'd change is the battery life, but I have the same complaint about pretty much every battery powered thing I own.
The EarPods are fantastic product regardless of what anyone thinks of sound systems on trails. At first I forgot about the long backorder. When they arrived I thought I was crazy for $150 earphones. Months later I think they're superb. Especially for someone who still uses a phone for conversation.

The EarPods and an Apple Watch are two things I thought I'd never like and wow I was wrong.

For a sealed type and lower cost, we have some JayBirds in the family that are fine. You really need their app to tune the sound where that's never crossed my mind with the EarPods.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The EarPods and an Apple Watch are two things I thought I'd never like and wow I was wrong.
I skipped the wait - I bought a sealed pair off Craigslist for 170 cash. I figured the twenty dollar premium was worth skipping six weeks. :)

I've considered an Apple Watch but the battery life is a concern for me. I'm thinking about possibly getting a Fenix 5X - I'd like to have the map functionality primarily for hunting but it would be fun for other stuff as well.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Been using the MPOW Jaws for years. They fail of their own accord after about a year, but at only $20 it's not a bad deal. I could buy the $100 LG but sometimes they get torn off my head by a branch and I'll have to go retrieve them hanging by a cord above the trail.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
39,606 Posts
I could buy the $100 LG but sometimes they get torn off my head by a branch and I'll have to go retrieve them hanging by a cord above the trail.
Next time that happens leave them in the tree.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,463 Posts
Only the best bluetooth speakers are wireless.

Oh wait, all the bluetooth speakers are wireless. The whole point of bluetooth is you don't need the wire.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts