Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to ride as much new stuff as I can lately and have been on the hunt for all of the good rocky, techy stuff. We have a million miles of XC type trails around the city, which are fun but I really like the rugged, rocky stuff.

What's your favorite chunky trail? National and other SoMo trails are an obvious answer, but what are some lesser known trails that will beat you up?

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,755 Posts
Geronimo.

Yes it's South Mountain, but its worth it.

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,755 Posts
I am not seeing that on Trailforks. I see a Cheesecake trail thats black diamond?
Its not called Cheesegrater on TF. its called Freedom 302/1a.

Find Irregular link in the dreamy draw area. from the south end of Link, you can head West (called Hairball) or take the miserable HAB south-bound up to the saddle and come down "upper cheesegrater" to where it meets VOAZ and is then called "lower cheesegrater".

Upper cheese and Hairball are *very* advanced trails. be forewarned. Lower cheese is much more rideable. I personally feel that both Hairball and Upper Cheesegrater are more dangerous with higher penalty for miscalculation than pretty much any of the "infamous H-trails" in Sedona.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Upper cheese and Hairball are *very* advanced trails. be forewarned. Lower cheese is much more rideable. I personally feel that both Hairball and Upper Cheesegrater are more dangerous with higher penalty for miscalculation than pretty much any of the "infamous H-trails" in Sedona.
You can also cut over from 1A on the VOAZ trail to the intersection where Lower and Upper Cheesegrater meet. Just watch the entrance move left onto Lower Cheese off of VOAZ... it's got a wheel-grabber that can be nasty.

cheese_hairball.jpg

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,755 Posts
Just watch the entrance move left onto Lower Cheese off of VOAZ... it's got a wheel-grabber that can be nasty.
Too bad there's a silly easy cheater line to the left now. I'll admit- while I can clean Upper Cheesegrater, (excluding a corner with a tree branch overhanging the trail) I'm only probably 50/50 on that section you mention here. Its janky and awkward.

·
No Clue Crew
7,086 Posts
Upper Cheese is no joke. If you can clean all those switches with the rocks shifting nonstop, you’re doing well.

Goat Camp.

Mine Trail at Hawes is about the most tech out there, but not really in the same league.

Most of the good stuff is obviously at SoMo. Geronimo, Corona, Devastator, 24th (my personal fave), Holbert, Ranger, Old Man, etc.

·
DFL>DNF>DNS
3,318 Posts
SoMo: Alta, Bajada, Kiwanis, Eliminator II, Mine Drop & the new Bursera Canyon.

Seven Springs: Trail 4, Cottonwood, Bronco - these are more loose rock kinda chunk than technical power move stuff.

Gold Canyon: Again, not on the same level as the big boy techy stuff, but if you do a route using these trails, there's enough chunk & techy bits: From Cloudview TH: Lost Goldmine - Hoodoo - Lost Goldmine - K-Trail - Jodi's Dream - K-Trail - Phantom - Where Ya Fromme - Phantom - exit Secret to K-Trail - Tech Loop - back to Secret - Kiki - Longhorn - Owl's Nest - Quartz Ridge - then work your way back to Cloudview

Estrella Pirate Trails: Blackjack

East side of Pass Mtn.

Goldfield Mtns: most of the stuff on the north end is rugged, but beware, these trails are primitive, rarely ridden and can have lots of hike-a-bike. If you keep an open mind it's a rad place to explore.

Think of these as more of a B list option.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
This is on the list. I haven't done it yet because I've heard there is a lot of HAB on that one?
It's not HAB if you ride it.

If you think the valley is filled with millions of miles of XC trails, you ain't riding the "right" trails...

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
All aforementioned trails heavily sanitized, protecting fragile egos for a great user experience!

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can also cut over from 1A on the VOAZ trail to the intersection where Lower and Upper Cheesegrater meet. Just watch the entrance move left onto Lower Cheese off of VOAZ... it's got a wheel-grabber that can be nasty.

Where is the source of this map? I live right on PMP and have been desperately searching for a proper map with real trail names.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Where is the source of this map? I live right on PMP and have been desperately searching for a proper map with real trail names.
I drew it a few years back, based on many miles logged, plus whatever other maps were rolling around that had trail names on them. Heavy leaning on epicrider's old map...

pmp_map.jpg

1 - 20 of 23 Posts