Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build a new set of wheels for my SS. I am giving Hope hubs the greatest consideration. I like the freehub design better than the screw-on type. I also looked at Kings and DT Swiss but they are priced out of my consideration. The Hope's look very nice and high quality but I wonder about they're durability?

Can someone shed some light on this?

1,420 Posts
Schultz29 said:
I'm looking to build a new set of wheels for my SS. I am giving Hope hubs the greatest consideration. I like the freehub design better than the screw-on type. I also looked at Kings and DT Swiss but they are priced out of my consideration. The Hope's look very nice and high quality but I wonder about they're durability?

Can someone shed some light on this?
I have a set and they have been perfect. For the price and the engagement they can't be beat. I will forewarn you however that they are very loud, which I happen to like, but some people don't. I also have 3 riding partners that are also running the Hopes and they like them as well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
For another alternative you might try finding a White Industries Phantom Ti track hub- they can easily be re-aligned to work with most reasonable chainlines.

My Phantom Ti tips the scales at 135grams. Throw on a white eno freewheel and you will weight less than any SS hub out there-king-dt-etc. They take Enduro bearings - so they last a long time and have good wet weather durability. Im 235lbs and have been running two for 6years.

They are rare but can be found. I may even have an extra one built up w/Dt revolutions and an dt rim thats super light if someone wants to step up to the crackpipe for a hit.

Attachments

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
I dont know that they sell for but I know you can get just the hub that comes stock on the Gary Fisher Rig, either in QR or bolt-on. It may not be the lightest but it has been reliable for me.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
I love my Hope Pro II single speed/trials hubs. I don't think they can be beat for a combination of price/performance/bling. I have had mine for close to a year now without any issue whatsoever. I am a 200 lb single speeder, and although I don't thrash my bikes to death, the rocks here in Phoenix are fairly brutal. No issues yet.

They are very, very loud. Louder than Kings. I love the noise and the bling.

Attachments

·
IFSDlxSS IFTiFLWMtb GFAdv
242 Posts
Spoke choice for SS wheelsets??

What spokes are you fellas using on your wheelsets with Hope hubs? I've been using DT Rev's on my temp SS wheelset but I'm worried about durability. They are actually my wheelset from my geared bike but have been using them via 9x1 conversion. I'm about to build up my dedicated SS wheelset and I'm wondering if anyone has any input as to the spoke of choice for SS builds.

Thanks.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've been running a set of Hope Pro II hubs since October. They have seen a bunch of sand, mud, snow, salt and grime. They have continued to perform flawlessly.

I'd buy them again for sure!

Joe

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input. I believe I'll order a rear Hope hub today. The screw on type of cog just doesn't work for me as I like to change the gearing from time to time. Not to mention I ride a 29'er and I mostly use a 23t or 22t rear cog and a 34t front ring. I haven't seen any screw on cogs that large. I really like the looks of Hope products, the only downfall may be the loud buzzing. I like the stealthy, silence of my SS but I'll give it a try.

Now I just gotta find a good sturdy rim. I'll lace the rear with straight gauge spokes.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Schultz29 said:
Thanks for the input. I believe I'll order a rear Hope hub today. The screw on type of cog just doesn't work for me as I like to change the gearing from time to time. Not to mention I ride a 29'er and I mostly use a 23t or 22t rear cog and a 34t front ring. I haven't seen any screw on cogs that large. I really like the looks of Hope products, the only downfall may be the loud buzzing. I like the stealthy, silence of my SS but I'll give it a try.

Now I just gotta find a good sturdy rim. I'll lace the rear with straight gauge spokes.
Late vote for DT Swiss. My #1 choice from now on, I use the one with centerloc disc + adaptor for 6-bolt. A cassette tool changes everything. No more torx for me! When I priced it out Mike C's price for custom wheels won me over.

·
Registered
952 Posts
My nashbar hub is great so far, been using it for park/street riding.

But my favorite hub is Profile Racing. The one on my BMX is 7 years old and seems to be indestrucable. I wish I could afford to put them on all my bikes.

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
crux said:
Philwood.

Yeah sure they weigh in a bit more than all the other hubs, but none has the bling factor or roll as smooth as the phils. Plus paired with a Ti White Industries freewheel very smooth.
pw all the way:thumbsup:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Schultz29 said:
The screw on type of cog just doesn't work for me as I like to change the gearing from time to time. Not to mention I ride a 29'er and I mostly use a 23t or 22t rear cog and a 34t front ring. I haven't seen any screw on cogs that large. .
just to clear this up, you can get the WI eno freewheels in 22t and 23t, or the ACS 22t for $15.

personally, i find it just as easy to change a freewheel, and they are much easier to clean/rebuild than hub-mounted freewheel.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.