Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend really doesn't get on well with her Terry Liberator. She hates it so bad, she stopped riding her bike. I hope that some of you would like to share what your little behinds find comfortable. Her bike is a hartail and she rides XC exclusively, even curbs are scary. Thanks in advance.

_MK

·
Registered
87 Posts
Terry Butterfly with ti rails ...a lot softer than the Terry Liberator and is one of the finest saddles I think they make for us. Well worth the extra money, IMO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I ride a rigid SS so my body feels every lil' pebble, I mean EVERYTHING....I have the Terry Dragon Fly and love it, I know three other women who have it also and the all swear by it!

Good luck!

MK_ said:
My girlfriend really doesn't get on well with her Terry Liberator. She hates it so bad, she stopped riding her bike. I hope that some of you would like to share what your little behinds find comfortable. Her bike is a hartail and she rides XC exclusively, even curbs are scary. Thanks in advance.

_MK

·
Registered
269 Posts
WTB for me

I have a WTB Rocket V on my xc bike and a WTB Laser V on my pack. I also have a rocket on my commuter. If you are getting a saddle locally make sure they will let you return it if she doesnt like it. Most of our stores around here will let you bring it back within 30 days and trade for something else.

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
I also have a Specialized saddle. I took Formica's advice and headed to my not-so-local Specialized dealer and got one of their Alias saddles in 143mm size (they come in 3 sizes). So far I'm liking it. It's a lot harder than my old WTB Lazer V, but feels pretty comfy. The big test will be riding on the road just sitting and spinning... thet's where the Lazer V didn't do so well.

- Jen.

·
lidless ascender
812 Posts
Yes, the Selle San Marco Atola is gathering quite a following it seems.My girlfriend said it's the best saddle she's ever tried.Has one on both her bikes, and both her sister and mother have them, too.I know a couple more women that use this saddle and they all love it.

Marko

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I personally swear by my WTB saddles and was leaning towards the Speed She. I see that none of you use it and scubaklook uses male saddles as did mahgnillig before switching to the Specialized. I don't think that I will be able to convice her to sit on another Terry saddle, so that leaves me the Selle Atola and Specialized. Any of you had any experience with WTB Speed She before settling on any of the saddles mentioned above?

_MK

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
My wife went from a OEM schwinn saddle to some really big couch-like monster and finally to the Speed She on her MTB. She's been on the Speed She for a couple years now and likes it so much she just ordered another to put on her new road bike. The road bike came with some sort of Specialized BG saddle - which by the way caused her much discomfort.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I don't like the Terry Liberator either - it seems too big. I have a nice Specialized... I think it's the avatar saddle. It's a men's saddle, but I like it. It also comes in the choice of widths. I've found through trial and error that less squish is better. I've tried some WTB saddles that I like as well.

MK_ said:
Her bike is a hartail and she rides XC exclusively, even curbs are scary. Thanks in advance.
BUT - why is her butt on the seat while she's going over a curb? Even on a DH bike - I'd be standing (or at least hovering/unweighted) when going over that kind of stuff. No seat is going to fix sitting too much over rough terrain.

All I'm saying is that even if your saddle was made for your butt, it will still hurt if you're bouncing around on it too much.

Mind you - don't you go saying "I think you sit too much when your ride". Because I know it's one of those things she'll probably get defensive about if it's coming from you (it sounds like nagging and an accusation of being lazy). Tell her that someone here said, from her own personal experience, that learning to stand MORE was a bigger improvement in butt comfort than any saddle ever could be. Saddles are still important though.

So go find her a better saddle AND make sure she knows that getting her butt off the saddle is important too.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
connie said:
BUT - why is her butt on the seat while she's going over a curb? Even on a DH bike - I'd be standing (or at least hovering/unweighted) when going over that kind of stuff. No seat is going to fix sitting too much over rough terrain.

All I'm saying is that even if your saddle was made for your butt, it will still hurt if you're bouncing around on it too much.

Mind you - don't you go saying "I think you sit too much when your ride". Because I know it's one of those things she'll probably get defensive about if it's coming from you (it sounds like nagging and an accusation of being lazy). Tell her that someone here said, from her own personal experience, that learning to stand MORE was a bigger improvement in butt comfort than any saddle ever could be. Saddles are still important though.

So go find her a better saddle AND make sure she knows that getting her butt off the saddle is important too.
:D I think we should go out for a drink ;).

The problem is that she's a novice, and she's hardheaded and whatever advice I offer, the end result is her doing the opposite. And the saddle puts pressure in her most sensitive spot, so that she simply hates being on the bike. That goes primarily for pedaling up the hill, on the downhill, she's slowly coming around to getting her pretty little behind off. I mentioned the curb as a way of showing her skill level. She's in the saddle, 90% of the time, trucking along. Her hands are spazzed on the brakes on the downhills.

I really appreciate all the advice. I'm gonna get going with saddle selection and letting her try different ones. I'm gonna have to be careful, though, to not turn her off to the saddle before I even put it on.

Cheers.

_MK

·
L1MEY
1,487 Posts
MK_ said:
I personally swear by my WTB saddles and was leaning towards the Speed She. I see that none of you use it and scubaklook uses male saddles as did mahgnillig before switching to the Specialized. I don't think that I will be able to convice her to sit on another Terry saddle, so that leaves me the Selle Atola and Specialized. Any of you had any experience with WTB Speed She before settling on any of the saddles mentioned above?

_MK
I don't know how different a Speed She is to a Speed V... but I tried my hubby's Speed V and I can honestly say it's the most uncomfortable saddle I've ever ridden (well, maybe my solid plasic BMX saddle was worse, but this one came pretty close). As for WTB, I really liked my Lazer V until I started riding for longer and spent more time spinning up long hills and doing road rides.

When I bought my Specialized saddle I tried measuring my sit bone width on their 'ass-o-meter', but it's black with gel inside and springs back to shape really too quickly to get a good measurement. What I did was take a piece of plain white paper, go into my back yard and put the outside door mat onto a garden chair, then sit on it in bike position and wiggle around a bit until I had indents from the mat in the paper. Then I drew circles around the largest collection of indents in each side, drew an X in the middle of each circle and measured between the two X marks to get my sit bone width. If you can find a saddle (any saddle) that will fit your girlfriend's sit bones just right, it should be comfy for her. IIRC if you buy from REI, you can return it if she doesn't like it and they'll give you a full refund.

- Jen.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My wife had a heck of a time finding a saddle that worked for her... and after MANY saddles, she found bliss with the Fizik Vitesse. So happy was she that we bought two more to replace them as they wear out or rip. I'm not sure if they are still available.

Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would second mahgnillig suggestion of measuring sitbones (I had to resort to the piece of paper trick as well). I spent ages looking for the right saddle as they all seemed to put a lot of pressure on some delicate anatomy, I used a Liberator Ti race X for ages as it had a massive cutout (the bog standard Liberator and the Butterfly were hell on earth for me) but I still wasn't really happy with it. I demoed a Specialized bike with a 143mm saddle on it (blokes not women's) and thought it was fab and when I measured my Terry it was wider than this. I then measured my sitbones and found that was probably the best width for me and now have a Selle Italia Flite (143mm wide) on my roadie and full-suss. Even though its a narrow firm saddle and has a small cutout I sit on my sitbones now and it has taken all the weight off the delicate parts and put it where it should be (sitbones complained like hell for the first few rides though as I don't think they were being used before). Definitely get "measured" but there may still be some trial and error involved in getting a good saddle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.