Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recovering from a very bad road crash, I am now mountain biking and really am not ready to clip back in. I ride single track, rooty trails but do no drops, jumps or stuff like that. Mainly just getting exercise and having fun. Like to get a decent flat pedal for this kind of use which is under 300 gm. The ones I have on now are pigs. I've seen pictures of the Well-go WR-1 and MG-1's but really would like to know how regular folk like them and/or other pedals. thanks all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you all referring to the Wellgo MG-1 or the Weyless MG-1?
I'm also on the lookout for new flat pedals, as mine has taken way to many hits and has started a knocking sound.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
the wellgo mg1's are about 365 grams for the pair, and they're really cheap. i dont think you're going to find a comparable pedal for the price.. most sub 300 gram pedals get real expensive.. paying 3x the price for 65 grams doesnt make sense to me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
appgap said:
Not familiar with a 5.1 shoe. Who is it made by and what makes it diffrent from a regular MTB shoe? Thanks
5.10 (or Five Ten) is a shoe manufacturer. However when most people refer to 5.10 they are referring to a shoe they make called Impact 2. Many people here (including myself) regard them as one of the best shoes for platform pedals because they are extremely grippy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
my Wellgo magnesiums are nice, just make sure to find a pair of shoes that grip well. I was trying a couple different pairs shoes and tried a lighter pair of NewBalance walking shoes i have the other day. mixed with a slightly sandy trail and 2ft drop = 4mean holes in my shin with a sweet bruise. Now looking for knee/shin pads...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wellgo MG-1: http://www.ebikestop.com/wellgo_mg_1_magnesium_pedals_white_916-PD1022.php

VS.

Dimension Pro Mountain: http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=PD1090

The MG-1 is 378g while the Pro Mountain is only 270g! Both have sealed bearings. I'm wondering if combining the Pro Mountain pedals with 5.10 shoes would yield 80% of the effect of the MG-1's grub screws. BTW, the Pro Mountain is $20 cheaper.

Any advice for a beginner rider that does mostly commuting and beginner trails?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do the pins on the wellgo pedals screw in??? Are they adjustable?

Are they "better" than the older style bmx type pedals with the aggressive teeth looking traction?

I am reluctant because I had a pair of pegs on my old dirtbike wiht these adjustable pins and my foot would slip off every now and then. The last time I contribute to a broken arm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know it sounds strange but if you look on a trials bike website called tartybikes.co.uk, they do a set of pedals called Try-All Ti-Nesiums. I have never tried them personaly because of the price but I have heard that they are very good. They weigh 300g, hey have a magnesium 1-piece body and titanium axles so they are very strong.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.