Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, this sBilly from Argentina. I´m traveling to Seattle at the end of the week and staying in the area for 8-10 days. I usually vacation in Crested Butte, this year PNW it is. I´m riding my own bike, a hardtail 29er with a dropper and 2.4 tires. I read the where to ride thread, and downloaded trailforks and mtbproject and all that stuff, but would like your opinion on which trails you like around the area. Will spend some days in Quilcene area and then mostly Seattle area, but I can drive around if its worth it. Im mostly after XC flowy trails, they can have some hard features but I dont enjoy permanent exposure, jumping off 6 foot drops into a slim log with a cliff on the right and bears on the left LOL. Flowy singletrack with nice views is fine with me. Reading the forum I found out about Grand Ridge which connects with Duthie (rode it in 2015 with a rented Pivot Mach 4, pretty fun not to sure how fun it is on a hardtail), also read about Ollalie trail, which has a tough climb but sounds fun. Anything else you can think of I might enjoy? Also is there anything less gnarly in Bellingham other than predator, ULine and all that bro stuff? Just trying to survive you know!
One last question. Is there any race//mtb event from July 27th till aug 4th? Might be fun to show up. Thanx a lot!

·
Registered
885 Posts
You're arriving a week too early, down in Capitol Forest they are having a race series from August 9-11.

Nothing to ride in Seattle unfortunately. Quilcene is fun but not challenging, you can also ride Dungeness/Gold Creek behind Sequim or ride the dirt fire roads behind Brinnon and drop down to Quilcene from Walker Mtn on 101 or any combo like that.

For pure off-road Galby still is the best bet imho.

·
I should be out riding
1,866 Posts
I would not consider Grand Ridge worthy of spending vacation time on.

If you're willing to travel more, there is a race in OR on August 3rd. https://cascadecreampuff.com/ Don't let the endurance references fool you, there are 100, 50, and 25 mile options. Oakridge singletrack has the flow you desire, is not overly technical, but does have some exposure in spots.

Olallie should work for you. I would also recommend the Esmeralda loop for some east of the mountains alpine. Capitol Forest has lots of flowy, not exposed singletrack. I suspect you'd like Wedekind and Porter better than Greenline. Alpine Baldy just officially opened and has some nice flowy trail (and a healthy road to trail climb) There's a lot of good riding within ~2 hours of Seattle, but lots of it has at least a little exposure.

You might check the evergreenmtb.org calendar for group rides while you're here too.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Ditto, Grand Ridge is not something you go out of your way for (as nice as it is).

Ollalie was also the first thing that came to my mind. Epic views, the descent is one of the best I've ever ridden, and you can do it as a 2 hours blast up and down or 5 hours epic if you keep going up. It's definitely a climb, but even if you resort to hiking sections, man is that last 1/3rd downhill some of the flowiest high speed goodness that ever existed.

Raging River is really fun too, but a bit more rough to do IMO. Parts of it are beautiful, but there's so many road crossings I never feel like I'm really "out there".

·
Registered
705 Posts
If sticking with the hardtail, I'd recommend Black Diamond trails in the SE suburbs of Seattle. Lots of mileage there. Pretty well signed. Nothing too extreme, even on the blacks. Get a proposed route defined before heading out as the trails are fairly short, so jumping from trail to trail is part of riding there. Not much elevation, so no big climbs or descents.

Raging River is borderline hardtail friendly. Newer machine built network taking shape. Main route is an out and back (climb, descent).

Galbraith Mtn. in Bellingham is a vast network of green, blue, and blacks. Greens and blues are do-able on a hardtail. Lots of miles there. Like Black Diamond, have at least somewhat of a route in mind as the trails are short, but their are a lot of them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll third the recommendation that Grand Ridge isn't really vacation worthy. It's decent if you're stuck in town and can't get further out than that, but not worth spending a day on. Ditto for Black Diamond, IMO. Those trails always feel kinda boring to me.

Olallie is a wonderful recommendation. Fast, flowy, great views, minimal hazard. Excellent all-around trail. I personally think Tiger Mountain is amazing, though the best trails there are certainly on the 'all-mountain' side of XC. But there's no reason you can't ride Masterlink-Quicklink-East Summit-Preston RR-Fully Rigid-Joyride-NW Timber on a hardtail. There are roots and some small drops, but no cliffs, no mandatory hucks... nothing an intermediate rider can't handle. If you're feeling good on the tech, substitute OTG for Preston RR - it's a nice taste of some NW tech :).

Really for excellent XC, I think it's worth it to spread your wings a bit. Galby in Bellingham has some great options, although it's known more for U-line and the jump/freeride trails. You can easily put together some big loops on all green and blue trails with minimal required tech. Focus on the north side - Up Ridge Trail, Cedar Dust, Mole Trap etc. Plan to come down Bobs.

Hwy 410 Corridor has great riding, amazing views, very distinct feeling. Check out Suntop. Long grind up the road, but stellar riding in a cool place.

Teanaway will likely be somewhat hot and a bit dusty by then, but there is a whole maze of XC trails over there. Greens, blues, tons of options for exploration. It is a bit remote compared to many of the other suggestions here, just something to be aware of.

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
...Teanaway will likely be somewhat hot and a bit dusty by then, but there is a whole maze of XC trails over there. Greens, blues, tons of options for exploration. It is a bit remote compared to many of the other suggestions here, just something to be aware of.
Si DocBilly trae yerba mate, lo arrastraré pa' todo Teanaway durante días, lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.