Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about going disc on the front.
What are your suggestions for a value weight weenie front hub?

The WTB rebadged AC or Hadley is what I'd get but am thinking about staying on the conservative side.

These would be mated to Velocity VCX most likely and either Formula B4, Hope Mini or Marta or Marta SL disc brakes.

Thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
ashwinearl said:
Thinking about going disc on the front.
What are your suggestions for a value weight weenie front hub?

The WTB rebadged AC or Hadley is what I'd get but am thinking about staying on the conservative side.

These would be mated to Velocity VCX most likely and either Formula B4, Hope Mini or Marta or Marta SL disc brakes.

Thanks
I've got the WTB rebadged AC front hub laced to Velocity VXC using DT Swiss Super comps (courtesy of Mike @ oddsandendos). Granted, I've only had them for 2 months/220 miles (in which 50% of that riding was done in wet/muddy conditions) but they seemed to have held up well. The wheel came in at just under 730g.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Hard to beat the WTB in the price/weight ratio ($67 @ aebike). I have been using the AC version for more than three years and the WTB version for a year. Just need to replace the bearing once a year or so after wet, mucky Oregon winters.

My AC/VXC/CX-Ray/alloy nip front wheel weighed in at 704g. Held up great for 2 years until I flubbed a jump landing (front first and sideways) and made it into a figure-8.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
3 AC/WTB fronts in service at the moment. 2 with the WTB label, the other an AC. VXC(744gm), 317(714gm), and Stans Olympic rim(665gm) are used. The oldest goes back to late 02. No probs to date.

·
Retrograde Customs
709 Posts
did anyone talk to the ac guy at sea otter? he was a total @$$ to me. kept telling me how my kings we're some garbage that was made in tiawan and his stuff is the greatest. i ask the guy if he has red chainrings and i get a 10 minute rant on how horrible my kings are.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
dansjustchillin said:
did anyone talk to the ac guy at sea otter? he was a total @$$ to me. kept telling me how my kings we're some garbage that was made in tiawan and his stuff is the greatest. i ask the guy if he has red chainrings and i get a 10 minute rant on how horrible my kings are.
By "AC" we mean American Classic. American Classic does not make chainrings and was not at Sea Otter AFAIK.

The "AC" you talked to is Adventure Components. A totally different company. They were at Sea Otter.
Any company that displays this image on the main product page of their web site (and no product pics) does not have much business sense, as you discovered at SO.

·
Retrograde Customs
709 Posts
shiggy said:
By "AC" we mean American Classic. American Classic does not make chainrings and was not at Sea Otter AFAIK.

The "AC" you talked to is Adventure Components. A totally different company. They were at Sea Otter.
Any company that displays this image on the main product page of their web site (and no product pics) does not have much business sense, as you discovered at SO.
yeah it was adventure components. i've never heard anyone refer to american classic as AC. just the older guy at that booth at otter. does he run the whole thing on his own?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.