Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hudnut said:
What cycling magazine do you enjoy most? What do you like and dislike about them?
My favourite mag is 'DIRT' from the UK.
It has great quality pics as well as a good layout and reading it doesn't make you feel like you are 14 years old (like MBUK does). Another reason i like it is because you can come back to the same mag time and again and still get something out of reading it.
It does have a decidedly downhill riding slant, but then again that is it's target market. (The same could be said for MBUK, in that 14 year olds are it's target market). And it is kind of pricey, in Australia it's nearly ten bucks or more if i remember right. So far i haven't seen it here in Finland.

I also like 'What Mountain Bike' and 'Mountain Bike Rider', both from the UK. I have a few copies of each in my .....ahem..... 'reading room' and i enjoy a flick through either one despite having had them for ages. Both seem to have reasonably good reviews as well as technical info, and the overall feel of the mags is comfortable and accessible. And both have a good spread of mtb interests with maybe a leaning towards trail and xc riding. Price again is a bit of an issue, however when i find a mag that can be used as a resource i try and take that into account.

Mags i don't like are 'Mountain Biking UK - MBUK' and 'Mountain Bike Action'.
MBUK has a massive bias towards particular manufacturers (DMR for one) and the level of writing isn't much better than high school. Reading it, or should i say looking at it, is like watching a music video, if that makes sense. All colour and movement and no real substance. It seems as if having the right bike, gear and look is more important to these guys.
Mountain Bike Action is one of those mags that i occasionally drop my guard for and buy thinking that maybe this one will be ok. Then i wise up to myself and wonder 'what the hell was i thinking??' One piece of advice that sticks in my head that was given in a recent issue is '...buy the most expensive bike you can afford...' (when referring to suitable race bikes). Now i'm no genius, but just because something is expensive it doesn't meant that it's the best or most suitable. When i read that line i rolled my eyes and nearly laughed out loud, no more MBA for me!!
But, it is cheap!!!!! ;) ;)

·
Penny's my cow-cat
303 Posts
Web address

mr plow said:
My favourite mag is 'DIRT' from the UK.
It has great quality pics as well as a good layout and reading it doesn't make you feel like you are 14 years old (like MBUK does). Another reason i like it is because you can come back to the same mag time and again and still get something out of reading it.
It does have a decidedly downhill riding slant, but then again that is it's target market. (The same could be said for MBUK, in that 14 year olds are it's target market). And it is kind of pricey, in Australia it's nearly ten bucks or more if i remember right. So far i haven't seen it here in Finland.

I also like 'What Mountain Bike' and 'Mountain Bike Rider', both from the UK. I have a few copies of each in my .....ahem..... 'reading room' and i enjoy a flick through either one despite having had them for ages. Both seem to have reasonably good reviews as well as technical info, and the overall feel of the mags is comfortable and accessible. And both have a good spread of mtb interests with maybe a leaning towards trail and xc riding. Price again is a bit of an issue, however when i find a mag that can be used as a resource i try and take that into account.

Mags i don't like are 'Mountain Biking UK - MBUK' and 'Mountain Bike Action'.
MBUK has a massive bias towards particular manufacturers (DMR for one) and the level of writing isn't much better than high school. Reading it, or should i say looking at it, is like watching a music video, if that makes sense. All colour and movement and no real substance. It seems as if having the right bike, gear and look is more important to these guys.
Mountain Bike Action is one of those mags that i occasionally drop my guard for and buy thinking that maybe this one will be ok. Then i wise up to myself and wonder 'what the hell was i thinking??' One piece of advice that sticks in my head that was given in a recent issue is '...buy the most expensive bike you can afford...' (when referring to suitable race bikes). Now i'm no genius, but just because something is expensive it doesn't meant that it's the best or most suitable. When i read that line i rolled my eyes and nearly laughed out loud, no more MBA for me!!
But, it is cheap!!!!! ;) ;)
Do you have DIRT'S web address?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.