Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
time for the enevitable hydro upgrade.

hoping to make the best choice as we all do and not having anything to compare to i have tried to do as much research as possible.
all the lbs prefer hopes for the local uk conditions and because they are manufactured here and spares are readily available. the lbs also say there are more come backs on the avids.
all the mags love the avids? and most the bikes are starting to show up with avids?
so where to next? the faithfull forums!
posted a thread titled avid or hope, knowing full well it would probably turn moot as everyone has their preference, but i admit i was hoping for a unanimous decision. well it turned out moot.
my reasons for turning to hydros are the obvious braking improvement but definately for a reduction in fiddling that i find with my v-brakes. i was hoping to find which brake would be best in performance and hopfully not too squealy which would force me off the nearest ledge.so reading into the reviews section i have found info i wasnt expecting. most people who have hopes hate them. most people who have avids hate them too. they are either too weak, too noisy, too difficult to set up and way too much maintenence. so whats the point in having hydros. it sounds like my v-brakes are a safer bet. maybe there are other options appart from the bling bling hopes and the inexpensive avids.
but when i looked into the shimano reviews most riders seem pleased and when i started calling a variety of bike shops and specificaly ask about the shimano xt set up, lo and behold its supposed to be a good all round brake, with minimal maintenance and good performance.
is the shimano a valid choice for good breaking, i aint no dh rider, and definately minimal fiddling?
:madman:

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
I know I love my XT brakes, I have had them for 2 years and no issues so far... easy to bleed... no probs... I like them so much I just switched my second bike from Avid mechs to LX hydros...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Welcome aboard. Good to see a solid use of brain power. The bike industry is inherently full of Hype and New and Improved, and people who ask a lot of questions before they buy are a rarity. One thiing to keep in mind is a little statistic gleamed from my days in a marketing class in college: Folks will complain about a product to 10 more people than those that have no problem with the same product. It makes sense, as something that isn't causing you grief you don't think about. So take every post you read with a pinch of salt. When it comes to shared complaints though, those can be taken a bit more seriously.
So anyway, back to your question. IMO, XT's tend to be a solid brake that's relatively easy to bleed. There's only a few draw backs. First, the pads seem to wear a bit faster due to the material. Terrible? No, just faster when you compare them to a full sintered metallic pad, but they do run quieter because of the semi metallic pad. Second, mineral oil (used in Shimano brakes) has a lower boiling point than DOT 4 and 5.1 fluids used in Avid, Hope, and Hayes. Some folks this can be a griping point. Look at your terrain and your braking style. Lots of vertical and always on the stoppers on the way down? May be an issue in your future. Third, if you ride street the hoses can be subject to failure due to kinking, but dang near everybody's brake are unless they're spec'ed w/ Goodridge lines. Hope that helps out.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Though the XTs use mineral oil, the fade is almost a non-issue. They are strong performers.

Hayes does not recommend DOT 5.1.

I have had very good luck with my J7s. A lot of it comes down to setup.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Nothing wrong with XT. Whenever i ride a bike with them as stoppers i am impressed with the modulation and power. The only nitpicky thing i can say is that XTR are lighter and don't give up much in power.

Another thing i like about XT is that the levers can be used with all the shimano line making upgrades a snap and the spline rotor/hub set up can make for a nice budget lightweight wheelbuilds.

·
fnar fnar brrraaaaap
2,182 Posts
Ratt said:
Nothing wrong with XT. Whenever i ride a bike with them as stoppers i am impressed with the modulation and power. The only nitpicky thing i can say is that XTR are lighter and don't give up much in power.

Another thing i like about XT is that the levers can be used with all the shimano line making upgrades a snap and the spline rotor/hub set up can make for a nice budget lightweight wheelbuilds.
I've used Hayes, Avid and shimano... shimano have amazing molulation. 1 for Shimano:thumbsup:

·
Registered
445 Posts
All my bikes run Shimano, one has an xtr at the back, the commuter is on Deore, and the rest are XT. XT brakes are great performers, easy to bleed, the hoses casn be used with different lever/calliper combos. I just sold two sets of my older 4-pot XTs for more than I originally paid for them, very popular in Japan! Pads do wear out, but not too pricey to change. Another vote for the XTs.:thumbsup:

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds like shimano for me
still only hearing good things. still see loads of riders using avid 5s but it seems too big a gamble considering i work away from home alot and need to get home and ride without sacrificing time to fiddling. my basic maintnance is to clean and lube the chain period. even fiddling with derailure does my head in as its time away from the trails. i dont mind a bit of lower performance if the kit is hassle free and judging from things i dont even have to worry about that.

so im stoked to have one more component sorted.

big up for your feed back:thumbsup:

·
Registered
982 Posts
XT's are great

I have been riding XT's for 3 years now and the only things I have changed on them are the brake lines - to Goodridge - and the pads - I alternate between Goodridge and Galfer.

Other than that, they are easy to adjust/center, easy to bleed (once a year), and cheaper to buy than all of the other bling out there.

I had XTR's for the two years before I switched to XT's and they were difficult to center - the shims - and they screeched.

Go with XT.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
XT brakes are great. Of all the various manufacturers (Hope, Avid, Shimano, Hayes etc) I've heard far fewer complaints about Shimano than anyone else. XT are the exact same brake as the Saint, just a different colour.

The only real downside to them is that they aren't that light (just under 500g for 160mm rotors). Having said that, Juicies weight about the same in the real world once you add in the brackets and extra bolts. In contrast, my 180mm Hope Mono M4 (with Mono Mini standard rotor weighs 415g all in).

If you're not a weight weenie the Shimanos will be fantastic.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Another vote for XT brakes, I have them on two of my bikes and I am happy. The stock pads do wear out fast but there are better, metallic pads available from Shimano and from other brands... The only issue that pops out once in a while for Shimano users is the sticky piston syndrome but it's easy to fix. 2 minutes and a few drops of oil is all it takes to fix the issue for good.

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
see what i mean. if you try research avids and hopes you hear tons of complaints. the little extra weight seems worth it to me considering the time spent riding over time spent throwing helmet against walls. plus i like the benefit of the friendly hydro fluid used.
shimano doesnt offer bling and seems to be over looked too often. i am lookin into a new chainset for my frame build and again the shimano hollow tec II is cheaper than all other comparible sets but race face is a must for bling junkies???? go figure

·
MTBR Demi-God
838 Posts
I use LX brakes, and I was very skeptical of their performance because of the price. But I was pleasantly surprised when I put them on.... they were very easy to bleed, and very easy to put the on. Their performance has been stellar... so I can imagine how XT is going to be. I ride mostly XC, and the brakes are more than enough for that.

One of my friend who has an XT brake configuration said that he is not able to feel any difference in the setup, apart from the weight... but my bike weighs a lot anyways...

So IMO you cannot go wrong with XT brakes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Man this is good to read. Timely too! I'm about to upgrade from Vbrakes to Disc. I was torn between XT and BB7's. All of the reviews of the BB7's are great, as are all of the XT's. For the money, I'm going XT's. I can get the rotors, wheels, 765 levers and calipers with hoses for $299. Good deal?
thanks
Ct..

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Chris T said:
Man this is good to read. Timely too! I'm about to upgrade from Vbrakes to Disc. I was torn between XT and BB7's. All of the reviews of the BB7's are great, as are all of the XT's. For the money, I'm going XT's. I can get the rotors, wheels, 765 levers and calipers with hoses for $299. Good deal?
thanks
Ct..
Not a bad deal... not at all :thumbsup:

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
As far as a lot of people have reported XT's are a very good disc brake option, but I would have to disagree with the modulation feeling on them compared to my HOPE Mono Mini's. Riding bud has some XT's on a 8500 and I rode it one night and found them not as powerful as my HOPE and when we exchanged bikes back he was so amazed at how much more power and feel my brakes had.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
LyNx said:
As far as a lot of people have reported XT's are a very good disc brake option, but I would have to disagree with the modulation feeling on them compared to my HOPE Mono Mini's. Riding bud has some XT's on a 8500 and I rode it one night and found them not as powerful as my HOPE and when we exchanged bikes back he was so amazed at how much more power and feel my brakes had.
You are probably right that Hopes are more powerful (Shimanos usually require bigger discs for high power), but power and modulation are independent from each other.... I have heard good reports on Hope's too.. so I am not saying that they have bad modulation.... just wanted to separate both features.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.