Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ive got a set of tektro auriga comp disk brakes and they don't seem to grab very well unless they are wet. But when they are not they wont lock up at all and they just slide. Ive cleaned the rotors and pads with alcohol and it still doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm thinking it may just be that the stock pads aren't very good but any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
It is hydraulic. I have Auriga with pads still stock, they aren't great, but do their job. When wet, they make lot of noise though. There is no adjustment, for all I know, except for the reach.
To OP: Check the rotors, they may be bent. My front brake was pretty weak, I had to replace the bent rotor to get some improvement (not very dramatic, but still.......)

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Since you took your pads out and cleaned them, I assume you'd have replaced them if they were worn out.

If they've been contaminated, cleaning them with alcohol isn't enough to bring them back. I've sometimes had success sanding down the top surface, but not always. Other people report cooking off the contamination one way or another - search "cleaning disc pads" or something like that. I've just replaced mine when they've gotten contaminated. Wasteful, I realize, but at least my brakes worked afterwards. (Still need to clean the rotors, but at least they're not porous.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks you guys there newish pads and but there the stock style I cleaned them off with some rubbing alcohol and burned them and they're doing a lot better but they are hydraulic so I'm going to take it to the lbs and have them bled and I think that will do the trick. But they rotors are perfectly true on the front and back. Hopefully this will solve the problem if not I'm going to the juicy line of hydraulic brakes which are supposed to be good

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.